Men’s soccer ends four-game skid with win over Dartmouth

The Stony Brook men’s soccer team was able to bounce back from a disappointing loss against Holy Cross on Friday to defeat host Dartmouth, 1-0, on Sunday.

A diving header goal from Berian Gobeil in the 34th minute gave Stony Brook the only goal of the game.

Stefan Manz recorded his second shutout of the season, against previously fourth-ranked Dartmouth.

As a team, the Seawolves were able to improve to 2-4-0 on the season, and end a six-game road/neutral run to start the season.

Stony Brook was able to capitalize on the fact that Dartmouth was down a man to score their goal.

Dartmouth lost Nick Pappas after he was given a red card for his second caution of the game.

Gobeil’s goal came when Kyle Schlesinger crossed into the box and Gobeil dove and headed the ball past Dartmouth’s goal tender Sean Donovan. It was Gobeil’s first goal in his sophomore year, and Schlesinger’s first assist.

Manz was able to keep the Big Green off the board the whole game, as he stopped four shots in the second half. He made a huge save on a shot by Andrew Olsen at 88:28 to keep the shutout and the win.

The victory snapped a four-game losing streak for the Seawolves. Stony Brook hadn’t won since its opening game, when the Seawolves beat Long Island rival Hofstra in overtime.

Stony Brook’s next game is its home opener against Central Connecticut State at LaValle Stadium on Friday at 7 p.m.