Former Tulane professor appointed new Stony Brook provost

Michael Bernstein
Michael A. Bernstein has been appointed provost and senior vice president of academic affairs at Stony Brook University, effective Oct. 31, 2016. As provost, Bernstein will be responsible for coordinating all the academic programs of the west campus. PHOTO COURTESY OF SBU NEWS OFFICE

After Provost Dennis N. Assanis’ June departure from Stony Brook University, the university has named Michael A. Bernstein as his replacement, according to an email sent out by President Samuel L. Stanley Jr. on Tuesday.

Bernstein’s appointment as provost and senior vice president of academic affairs will take effect on Oct. 31.

“It is an enormous honor to join Stony Brook University and become part of an institution that has, for over a half-century, represented the very best in American higher education,” Bernstein said in a news release.

The former history and economics professor at Tulane University served as the university’s provost from 2007 until last month. Prior to that, Bernstein also spent 20 years at the University of California at San Diego and received his Ph.D in economics from Yale University.