Women’s soccer still winless

Stony Brook University hoped for their first win Sunday afternoon when they took on the Columbia Lions at the Columbia Soccer Stadium.

Instead, the game gave Columbia its fourth straight shutout win, the first time the Lions have acheived this since the 2006 season.  Columbia defeated Stony Brook, 3-0.

Sophomore Sa’sha Kershaw (Baltimore, Md.) and junior Dominique Adamo (Ramsey, N.J.) led the Seawolves with three shots each, though neither recorded a shot on goal. Stony Brook only managed three shots on goal in the game, with freshmen Tess Hagenlock (Bozeman, Mont.) and Larissa Nysch (Dreshner, Pa.) as well as junior Holly Razzaghi (Bloomburg, Pa.) each had one.

The first goal came from Lions freshman Chelsea Ryan (Richland, Wash.) who nailed a rocket shot off of a corner kick from Kelly Hostetler (Avon, Conn.).

With only four minutes left in the half, Columbia managed another corner kick goal when Hostetler again found a target in Keri Nobil (Lynnfield, Mass.) who hammered home a point-blank goal.

Pressure was intense during the game, but Stony Brook managed to have 12 shots to Columbia’s 14.

Stony Brook managed to hold off the Lions for 30 minutes in the second half, but eventually the Columbia scored its final goal of the game.

In the 76th minute Lainey Prioleau (Newport Beach, Calif.) passed to Coleen Rizzo (Needham, Mass.), who then sent a perfect pass to Marissa Schulz (Plymouth, Minn.) on the right wing. Schulz shot the ball into the corner of the net for her first goal of the season.

The Lions are now 4-1-0, while Stony Brook falls to 0-6-1.

The Seawolves will play again on Thursday when they host Fairfield at LaValle Stadium at 7:00 PM.