Seawolves soccer shut out in exhibition game against NWSL’s Flash

A lightning delay at halftime could not spark Stony Brook’s performance on Friday against the Western New York Flash of the National Women’s Soccer League, as the Seawolves lost 5-0 in the exhibition match.

After a scoreless first 25 minutes, Western New York forward Makenzy Doniak knocked in a cross from forward Taylor Smith, opening the floodgates for the Flash. Stony Brook found itself down 2-0 at halftime and allowed a goal 30 seconds into the second half after a half-hour long lightning delay.

Stony Brook junior goalkeeper Shannon Robinson made the most of her starting minutes, with five saves in the first half. Sophomore goalkeeper Cara Gallagher relieved Robinson after halftime, recording an impressive save on a penalty kick with nine minutes remaining in regulation. It remains to be seen whether Robinson, who has never started a game in her college career, will start in goal throughout the season. Gallagher started between the pipes four times last season, while now-senior goalkeeper Emily Doherty started 14 matches.

The Flash, who lead the NWSL in goal differential, proved to be too tough of an opponent for head coach Brendan Faherty’s team. Stony Brook was tested severely on offense, being held to zero shots in the first half. The daunting matchup served as a tune-up for the Seawolves, one week before their regular season begins.

The Seawolves ranked sixth in the America East Preseason Coaches’ Poll heading into the regular season. Senior forward Raven Edwards looks to follow up her 2015 campaign, in which she scored a team-leading nine goals and was named to first-team all-America East.

The NWSL team is the only warmup Stony Brook will have before its season opener on August 19, when Stony Brook hosts Bryant at 5:00 p.m.

FEATURE IMAGE CREDIT: BRIDGET DOWNES/THE STATESMAN