Women’s Lacrosse shuts out Binghamton, 16-0

Goalie_crop
Freshman goalkeeper Anna Tesoriero (No. 31, above) did not allow any goals in the game against Binghamton on Wednesday night, making the game the second shutout in Stony Brook history. MANJU SHIVACHARAN/THE STATESMAN

Junior attacker Courtney Murphy entered Wednesday night’s game against Binghamton needing just three goals to become the first player in Stony Brook history to reach 200 career goals.

It took her less than nine minutes to reach the milestone.

Murphy netted the third of her eight goals with 21:13 remaining in the first half, giving No. 6 Stony Brook an early 4-0 lead on the road. The Seawolves would not surrender a goal the entire game, as they defeated the Bearcats 16-0 to extend their win streak to 10 games.

Freshman goalkeeper Anna Tesoriero stopped all six of Binghamton’s shots on goal, including two free-position attempts, as the Bearcats were kept off the scoreboard. The Seawolves’ shutout was the second in school history, with the first coming in a 2014 win over Monmouth.

Murphy started the scoring for Stony Brook, taking a page out of sophomore teammate Kylie Ohlmiller’s playbook to put in a goal behind her back just 87 seconds into the contest.

From there, the junior could not be stopped, as she scored seven more times to extend her NCAA-leading goal total to 73 this season.

Murphy now has 34 goals in America East play, breaking the league’s previous record of 30, while still having one more regular season conference game to play.

Junior midfielder Dorrien Van Dyke scored three goals and two assists for the Seawolves while junior attacker Alyssa Guido had a goal and four assists — three of which set up Murphy.

Tesoriero joined former Stony Brook goalkeeper and current assistant coach Frankie Caridi as the only players to ever complete a shutout for the Seawolves. But the freshman was not alone in the effort; the Stony Brook defense forced Binghamton to commit 17 turnovers in the game.

On Friday, Stony Brook will host Hofstra on Senior Night at 7 p.m. at Kenneth P. LaValle Stadium. Seven Seawolves, including three starters — attacker Taylor Ranftle and defenders Maegan Meritz and Alyssa Fleming — will be honored in a pregame ceremony.

Hofstra’s record this season is just 3-10, as the Pride are amid their worst season in program history. With a victory against its Long Island rival, Stony Brook’s win streak would reach 11 games.