Iona holds Stony Brook Baseball scoreless in 7-0 Seawolves loss

After two consecutive weekends highlighted by good pitching performances, the tables turned on the Stony Brook Baseball team when it played Iona at City Park on Tuesday.

Gael pitchers combined to hold the Seawolves scoreless while giving up just five hits in a 7-0 shut out of the Seawolves. Stony Brook’s overall record fell to 17-15 on the season.

This game was nothing like the previous two contests that Stony Brook had against Iona earlier in the season. The Seawolves outscored the Gaels by a combined 26-4 prior to Tuesday’s loss.

Junior starting pitcher Jake Kurz started what was a dominating pitching performance by Iona’s staff. He began the game for the Gaels and would throw four innings of shutout baseball while allowing just three hits to earn his first win of the season.   

Iona used four more pitchers to complete the shut out. Junior relief pitcher Andrew Pucillo’s performance out of the bullpen stood out as he struck out three batters in just two innings.

Down just one run in the top of the third inning, Stony Brook put itself in position to have a big inning and perhaps take a lead before things began to snowball. Sophomore third baseman Bobby Honeyman led off the inning with a double to right center. Junior shortstop Jeremy Giles walked to put men on first and second base with no outs.

But the big inning never came to fruition.

Freshman catcher Sean Buckhout flied out to right field to give Stony Brook its first out of the inning. Junior center fielder Toby Handley and sophomore left fielder Andruw Gazzola, who both entered the game hitting well above the .300 mark, followed suit by grounding out and flying out, respectively.

Iona’s lineup piled on to the team’s lead, scoring five more runs to break open a 6-0 lead in the game.

Stony Brook will continue its road trip this weekend when it begins a three-game series against Bryant at Conaty Park on Friday at 3 p.m..