Women’s soccer earns overtime draw

Trying to avoid its sixth loss in a row, Stony Brook’s women’s soccer team faced off against Sacred Heart University’s Pioneers Friday afternoon. Sacred Heart came into the game with a 3-2 record.

The score was 0-0 until Sacred Heart’s Amanda Stiles (Miller Place, NY) ripped a shot to make the score 1-0. Within two minutes after their first goal, Pioneer Lucy Gildein (Topsfield, MA) made the score 2-0 with a lazer shot, making it Gildein’s third goal of the year.

Frustrated and ready for vengeance, the Seawolves stepped up their game, when their 2009 leading scorer, Sa’sha Kershaw (Baltimore, Md.) scored a goal in the 67th minute on a penalty kick. It was the first goal for Kershaw this season.

With momentum building, Dominique Adamo (Ramsey, N.J.) tied it in the 69th minute as she nailed a high shot, over the goalie, into the back of the net.

Sacred Heart seemed to have the majority of the opportunites towards the end of the match, but Stony Brook’s goalkeeper, Chelsea Morales (Temecula, CA), would not allow a game-winning goal.

Towards the end of regulation, the Pioneers nearly won the game, but were stopped by Morales after an amazing diving save guaranteed the Seawolves overtime.

No team was able to score in overtime or double overtime, and the game ended in a tie. This is the first tie for the Seawolves leaving them 0-5-1, while the Pioneers remain at 3-2-1. The women on the Seawolves hope for their first season win on Sunday, where they will be playing Columbia at 1:00 PM.