Students Cool Off at Annual RHA Block Party

Tickle-me-pink cotton candy teases the drooling freshmen students waiting in the never- ending line. Ice cold water splashes from the ‘dunk tank’ as one volunteer attempts to dunk the unlucky guy who is about to test his diving skills. Harmonic jazz musicians play melodic tunes, providing a New Orleans kind of vibe. Students crunch on salty popcorn while discussing the house parties they have thus attended. Fraternity brothers challenge one another at the palm tree-themed “moon bounce” obstacle course.

Walking through the academic mall Wednesday night, it felt like Stony Brook had magically transformed into the boardwalk at the Jersey shore, minus all the fist pumping and Sammie and Ronnie drama. Colorful ring toss loops and slimy frog leap games were seen left and right. Belittling basketball hoops hung far too high for anyone to successfully score a three-pointer. And all at once it felt like the summer had never ended – at least for four hours.

This, undoubtedly, was the bubbly and unwinding atmosphere experienced by anyone who attended the Residence Hall Association Block Party.  Hosted by the Residential Hall Association, or RHA as well as the National Residence Hall Honorary, or NRHH.  The party was the perfect interlude for students who grew weary of being trapped in sizzling dorm rooms.

Jaime Poynter, a 20-year-old psychology major and Vice President of RHA, explained that the main goal of the Block Party was to provide Stony Brook students with a cheerful kickoff to the year. Blueprint planning had begun in the spring, which allowed for an ample amount of time to prevent unnecessary nuisances. One such avoided problem was compactness.

According to Poynter, this year’s annual Block Party was specifically set up in a way that “provides more room between stations.”

Matthew J. Carnes, a 20-year-old marine biology student and Public Relations chair for the National Residence Hall Honorary, felt the event was a huge success.

Most students really enjoyed themselves. Timsal Ghani, a 21- year-old biology major and also a recent transfer to the university, had a blast at the Block Party. “It’s a great venue to bring out new students from sitting cooped up inside and to get them accommodated at this campus,” he said.

Kevin Thorp, a freshman student and electrical engineering major, was “lovin’ the vibe” of the Block Party. “I like that Stony Brook is beginning to show us new students things to do on this campus and ways to get involved.”

One mode of involvement that definitely turned a few heads was the Stony Brook Belly Dancing club, one of the very last performances of the night.  Shimmying dancers with vibrant gold trinkets ‘strutted their stuff’ on the main stage in front of hundreds of enlivened spectators.

Hillel, Campus Residences, SBVAC, C-CERT, the Belly Dancing club, SBU Live and the High Cs also sponsored the event.

All organizations look forward to an even more successful Block Party next year. The students look forward to a second helping of cotton candy.