Men’s Basketball head coach Steve Pikiell reportedly leaving for Rutgers job

image1
Seawolves head coach Steve Pikiell addressing the crowd during Selection Sunday after the Stony Brook Men’s Basketball team won the America East Championship and earned its first tournament berth on Saturday, March 12, 2016. (ANDREW EICHENHOLZ/THE STATESMAN)

Rutgers University has reportedly hired Steve Pikiell as its newest men’s basketball coach, according to Steve Politi of NJ.com and Jeff Goodman of ESPN.

In 11 years, Pikiell led Stony Brook to six 20-win seasons, culminating in this year’s program-first NCAA Tournament berth. He is also a four-time America East Coach of the Year and two-time Metropolitan Writers Coach of the Year.  

Pikiell would leave Stony Brook with an overall record of 192-156 and four America East regular season championships. He would replace Eddie Jordan, who won just seven games this season and was dismissed earlier this month.

Brian Miller, an assistant athletics director for communications, said Stony Brook Athletics would not make a comment until a formal announcement is made.

Rutgers Athletics was not immediately available for comment.

Saturday, March 19 at 4:06 p.m.: Stony Brook Athletics released a statement from Director of Athletics Shawn Heilbron.

“For 11 years Steve Pikiell gave his heart and soul to Stony Brook University; his contributions have been immeasurable. His approach to the game is the epitome of winning the ‘right way’, and I have no doubt that he will bring that same philosophy to Rutgers. He and Kate and their children Brooke, John, Olivia and Kevin will always be a part of the Stony Brook family and they will be missed by the entire Stony Brook community.

Thanks to Steve our men’s basketball program has transformed into one that will attract great candidates, and my expectation is that we will identify a world class coach who shares our vision to positively transform the life of each student-athlete and win at the highest level.”