Preview: Stony Brook Football at South Florida

The wait is over. The college football season is upon us, and the Seawolves are gearing up for what might be the biggest game in program history. For the first time ever, Stony Brook will face a Football Bowl Subdivision (formerly Division I-A) program when it opens the 2010 season tomorrow night in Tampa against the University of South Florida.

The Seawolves are coming off an outstanding season that saw them post a 5-1 record against Big South opponents on their way to winning a share of the conference championship. They were picked to finish second in the conference in this year’s preseason poll.

They have a daunting task ahead, as it will be the first time they will have to deal with the size and athleticism of an FBS program, and further, one that has had some past rankings. In 2007, South Florida was ranked as high as No. 2 in the nation before losing to Rutgers University. Also, with 65,000 seats, Tampa’s Raymond James Stadium is the largest stadium the Seawolves have played in.

The Bulls are coming off an 8-5 season and a fifth place finish in the Big East Conference. They ended the 2009 season with a 27-3 victory over Northern Illinois in the International Bowl. They are returning a total of 14 starters on offense and defense.

Leading the way for Stony Brook’s offense will be junior quarterback Michael Coulter (Yorba Linda, Calif.). Coulter started every game last season and led the Big South with 15 touchdown passes. He also proved to be good in the clutch, engineering game-winning drives in the final minutes of three games.

Tomorrow’s game will also feature the debut of the Seawolves’ three-headed rushing attack, with Hofstra transfers Brock Jackolski (Shirley, N.Y.) and Miguel Maysonet (Riverhead, N.Y.) joining junior Edwin Gowins (Bellport, N.Y.) in the backfield. Last season the Seawolves ranked 30th in the nation in rushing, and they have the chance to be even better this year. The performance of the running backs could determine the outcome of the game for Stony Brook.

With only three starters on defense returning, someone is going to have to step up and take a leadership role. Look for the senior captains to put forth a strong combined effort to stop the South Florida offense, as linebackers Julian Glenn (Uniondale, N.Y.) and Stephen Schwicke (East Patchogue, N.Y.) and safety Arin West (Toms River, N.J.) will have to step up and lead Stony Brook’s young defense.

“All our veterans need to play up to their potential,” said head coach Chuck Priore. “Our young players just have to perform.”

The Bulls will be led by sophomore quarterback B.J. Daniels, who led the team with 1983 passing yards and 772 rushing yards. He ended the year with 23 total touchdowns. His primary target will be senior wide receiver Dontavia Bogan; the two combined for 228 yards and four touchdowns in South Florida’s spring game.

Leading the USF defense will be senior defensive tackle Terrell McClain. Last year he totaled 25 tackles and five tackles for loss. Stony Brook’s offensive line will have to hold him off if they hope to establish a running game.

Last year, the Bulls allowed less than 20 points per game on defense, ranking 19th in the nation. Priore said the Seawolves will have to make smart decisions and control the possession time to have a good game on offense.

Tomorrow’s game will be televised on SNY, allowing local fans to watch the game. Kickoff is set for 7:05 p.m.