Women’s Tennis splits matches with Brown and Bryant

_MG_0203
Senior captain Louise Badoche, above, clinched the victory for her team with a 7-5, 7-5 win on Friday versus Bryant. The team lost its match on Saturday against Brown.  KRYSTEN MASSA/THE STATESMAN

The Stony Brook Women’s Tennis team entered the weekend looking to come out with two road victories, with one against a nationally-ranked team.

Head coach Gary Glassman’s team got half the job done, as it went on to defeat Bryant on Friday, 4-3, but followed up the win with a loss to No. 52 Brown 5-2.

Stony Brook trailed early in its match against Bryant, as it went down 1-0 early into the day, dropping the doubles point. The duo of sophomores Elizabeth Tsvetkov and Yana Nikolaeva was able to win their doubles match, 6-2, shifting some of the momentum to Stony Brook’s side, however.

After that doubles win, Stony Brook went on to win four of the six single flights on the day, with senior captain Louise Badoche clinching the victory for her team with a 7-5, 7-5 win, as her team prevailed with the match victory over its Northeast Conference foes.

Saturday’s matchup against the No. 52 Bears proved to be a much different matchup than the Seawolves’ match the previous day. The only similarity was that Tsvetkov and Nikolaeva won their doubles match again, proving themselves a potent pairing.

After the doubles segment ended, it was all Brown, as the Ivy League school ended up taking all but two single flights on Saturday. Tsvetkov lost her first singles match of the dual-match season, losing to two-time First Team All-Ivy selectee Dayna Lord, 6-3, 6-3.

Senior Becky Shtilkind and Nikolaeva won their single flights, making them the only Seawolves to win their match on Saturday.

Stony Brook will have no matches during the week, until they hit the road again next weekend. The team will compete West Point to take on Siena College on Friday at 1 p.m. before traveling to Ithaca to face Cornell University on Saturday at 12 p.m.