Anthony Mayo joins Stony Brook basketball

Stony Brook athletics announced today the signing of Anthony Mayo–the 84th-ranked center in the country according to ESPN.com–out of Roman Catholic High School in Philadelphia, Pa.

Mayo earned an 82 rating from the scouts at ESPN, which falls into the range of a “high major prospect.” This rating means, according to the site, that Mayo “has the potential to start or significantly contribute as a freshman for most top national Division I programs.”

The scouting report says that Mayo’s strengths are on the defensive end, where he is a good rebounder and shot-blocker. Offensively, the report says, Mayo can run the floor well and has good hands and a nice jump-hook.

The 6-foot-9-inch Mayo joins Stony Brook after a prolific career at Roman Catholic. Mayo was a 2010 honorable mention All-Catholic league selection by the Philadelphia Daily News in his senior year, when  he averaged 10 points, six rebounds and three blocks per game.

Mayo led Roman to the PIAA Class AAAA quarterfinals. He was the 35th ranked player in Philadelphia by PhillyHoops.net.

Mayo joins highly touted prospects Dave Coley (guard), Anthony Jackson (guard) and Al Rapier (forward) in signing to play for Stony Brook in the 2010/11 season.