How to Be Red Hot

Red-It’s easy to see that it’s Stony Brook’s color.

All over campus, you can see red. In the LaValle Stadium and Pritchard gym, there are red hot sections designated for students. Fridays are referred to as red Fridays, where faculty and students show support and pride for the school by wearing red.

Red is such a vital part of the Stony Brook campus. So important that it’s not quite enough to just have school spirit, you should strive to show it by how you dress. You may now be asking, how can one show their school spirit without breaking the bank? Well here are some tips on ways to get some red hot items for a cheap price.

For students living on campus, you can make your room red hot, save money and also be energ y efficient with a 12-piece Melamine Dinnerware Set in Red for only $24.99 at Target. What else can you get from Target? Their Room Essentials® Comforter in red is great to keep you warm during the cold winter months. It is normally priced at $17.99-29.99. Students can get to Target on the weekends by riding the Stony Brook buses, free of charge.

You can also get red hot for sporting events by painting your nails, dying your hair, and buying Wolfie temporary tattoos. N.Y.C. Cosmetics has some great red nail polish colors. The price ranges from $.99- 1.99. It’s also easy to remove and

is long-lasting. You can find N.Y.C. Cosmetics at nearly any drug store.

Another way to show your school spirit is to use your hair. Many students have either thought about or have used dyes on their hair at one time or another for homecoming or another university sporting event. However, those sprays are messy and can damage hair. There is an easier way you can get red hot hair without dye- you can just clip it in.

Easihair by Jon Renau has six inch clip in hair extensions made out of REAL HAIR. They have a great color aptly named Red Hots. They are only $4.00 when ordered from the company.

You can also buy temporary Wolfie or SB tattoos at the Seawolves Marketplace. These are great additions to the perfect red hot outfit on game day.

The University Bookstore and the Seawolves Marketplace, located in the basement of the Melville Library and Student Activites Center respectively, are two of the best places to get official Stony Brook products. They have some great items such as Seawolf flip flops for only five dollars as well as multiple t-shirts designs, some for as low as $10. They also just launched an option for custom apparel where you can put almost anything printed on selected pants and shirts.

As you can probably see, the color red is a rite of passage here on campus. When you start out as a freshman you may receive red hot shirts at football games, but upon graduation, you receive a red hot gown. The red gowns are a recent addition to our Stony Brook traditions after a group of students campaigned for the change.

According to Associate Dean of Students, Ronnie Paschkes, the change was done to “augment the tradition and spirit of the campus, all in keeping with the school color and the phrase that SBU is RED HOT.”

Red hot items and apparel are something that brings together freshman, professors and everyone in between. From red laptops, to red bed sheets, to shirts and even hair, it’s a uniting color here on campus that takes you from being justanother student, to a member of the Seawolf pack.