“Saturday Night Live” star Nasim Pedrad to perform at SBU Comedy Series

Nasim Pedrad, above, is an Iranian-American actress and comedian born in Tehran, Iran. Pedrad was raised in California and graduated from the UCLA School of Theatre in 2003.

The University Student Government announced on Wednesday  Nasim Pedrad as this semester’s performer in this semester’s USG Comedy Series on Tuesday, Feb. 9 at the Staller Center.

The 34-year-old comedian and actress is known for her work as a cast member in “Saturday Night Live” and co-star of the Fox series “Scream Queens.”

According to USG Vice President of Communications and Public Relations Brody Hooper, the Student Activities Board is involved in choosing who takes the stage this semester, but integrates the student voice through conducting a poll.

“Nasim was eventually the winner after attempts to get comedians ranked higher than her on the list, but we were unable to for various reasons,”Hooper said.

Some comedians on the list included Craig Robinson, known for his role as Darryl Philbin on “The Office,” and parts in “Pinapple Express” and “This Is End,” as well as Kenan Thompson.

Thompson, known for his work on “Saturday Night Live”, was actually the winner of the student poll according to Hooper. However his scheduled rehearsal for SNL interfered with the date of the Comedy Series Performance.

USG introduced the comedy series back in 2011 with 32-year-old actor and comedian Aziz Ansari.

In regards to the performance being held on a Tuesday, USG is attempting to work around student’s hectic schedules and make it easier for students to attend.

“While working around the schedules of the facilities that we need to host the shows, we are doing our best to offer our events on different days than in the past so that students who have had conflicts in the past due to work, class, going home, etc. are now able to come,” Hooper said in an e-mail interview.

USG President Cole Lee expressed his excitement for the variation of activities provided to the students this semester.

“We’re extremely excited to continue to provide a diverse range of programs and activities to maximize the student experience for all of Stony Brook University,” Lee said, “We hope to continue to put the student activity fee to good use and enhance the campus community.”