17th Ranked Stony Brook Lacrosse Drops Second Straight

Coming off a hard-fought loss to Denver on Saturday, the #17 Stony Brook men’s lacrosse team dropped another close battle, losing to #7/9 Cornell Big Red, 12-9, at LaValle Stadium on Tuesday evening.

“I’m disappointed,” Seawolves Head Coach Rick Sowell said following the loss. “But good times are ahead.”

Junior Kevin Crowley (New Westminster, British Columbia) led Stony Brook with four goals. Cornell’s Ryan Hurley recorded five goals.

The Seawolves went behind early, allowing Cornell to jump out to a 3-0 lead. But a four-goal streak by Stony Brook gave the home team the lead at the end of the first quarter.

Hurley scored early in the second quarter to tie the game. Crowley scored with 1:23 to go in the half to put the Seawolves back in front, but Cornell answered back with five seconds left in the half to send the teams into the locker rooms at level pegging.

Cornell came out of the break with more energy, scoring five straight to put the game out of reach for good. Stony Brook couldn’t manage a goal until the fourth quarter when sophomore Timmy Trenkle (Commack, N.Y.) scored with 11 minutes left in the game.

The Big Red would stretch their lead to 12-7 with a little more than four minutes to go.

A late Stony Brook comeback that consisted of a goal by junior Jordan McBride (New Westminster, British Columbia) on an assist from Trenkle and another Crowley goal with 2:55 on the clock came up short as Cornell retained possession for much of the final two minutes.

Stony Brook’s next game will be its last non-conference game. The Seawolves will hit the road to play Bryant on Saturday at 1 p.m.