Men’s Lacrosse Drops Tough One To Denver

After leading for much of the game, the #15 Stony Brook men’s lacrosse team conceded the gamex-winning goal with 2:37 to go in the fourth quarter to fall to the visiting Denver Pioneers, 13-12.

Stony Brook senior Tom Compitello scored a goal and had three assists in the loss.  Juniors Jordan McBride and Kevin Crowley scored three goals each for the Seawolves.

Stony Brook (4-2) led early on, as Compitello scored the first goal of the game.  Running from behind the goal, he was tripped but kept his wits about him and scored from his knees to put the Seawolves up with 12:59 to go in the first quarter.

Denver (4-4) answered a minute and a half later but four unanswered Stony Brook goals saw the Seawolves finish the quarter with a 5-1 lead.

McBride kept the momentum going with a Seawolves goal 1:06 into the second quarter.

Denver then scored four straight to close the gap to 6-5 before Crowley scored with 3.7 seconds left in the half to give the Seawolves a 7-5 halftime lead.

The visitors tied it up  in a little over three minutes after the half.  But Stony Brook went on a 4-0 run to stretch the lead to 11-7.

The Pioneers then dominated the fourth, scoring six goals, including the game-tying goal with 7:00 to go and eventual game-winner with 2:37 to go, in the final period.  Two last-ditch Stony Brook shots flew just wide, and Denver walked away with their third victory against the Seawolves in as many years.

Stony Brook men’s lacrosse next plays #10 Cornell (5-1) at home at LaValle Stadium at 7 p.m. on Tuesday.  It will be the Seawolves’ final non-conference home game of the season.