Wilson takes Rookie of the Week for Volleyball

The Stony Brook Women’s Volleyball team is off to a 5-3 start to America East play, and a major reason why is the performance of its freshman.

Another first-year player stepped up last week, as freshman middle blocker Taylor Wilson’s play in the Seawolves’ sweep of rival UMass Lowell on Friday earned her the America East Rookie of the Week title, the conference announced on Monday.

Wilson totaled nine kills on the night in Pritchard Gymnasium, second most on the team behind redshirt senior outside hitter Kathy Fletcher, who had 16.

A Corydon, Indiana native, Wilson now has 178 kills on the season. Her 61.5 percent hitting performance came with only one error.

Wilson is not the only freshman to earn America East recognition this year. Setter Morgan Kath was named Setter of the Week twice along with earning Rookie of the Week honors. Middle hitter McKyla Brooks garnered Rookie of the Week honors twice.

The Seawolves will look to grab their sixth conference win of the season when they head to Albany to play the Great Danes on Friday at 7 p.m..