Women’s Soccer falls in final road game of the regular season

Stony Brook Women’s Soccer had won three of its last four games and tied the fourth. The Seawolves were on a roll that made them look very tough to beat. Only giving up three goals in the four games and beating New Hampshire, the number one team in the conference, the team seemed capable of pulling out another win against Maine on Thursday night.

That was not the case, however, as the Seawolves lost to the Black Bears, 2-0, at Mahaney Diamond. It was the final home game of the regular season for the Black Bears and the Seawolves’ last away game of the regular season.

Stony Brook looked dominant on the offensive side of the pitch in a scoreless first half, controlling play. Maine had very few chances to get anything going. The only thing the Seawolves did not do was score, and Stony Brook looked ready to come out in the second half and pull ahead to win the game.

Instead, the Black Bears found a way to turn things around and eventually take control.

Senior forward Charlene Achille got Maine on the board first in the 68th minute off a corner kick from junior defender Hannah Lipinski.

The Black Bears added another goal to put the game away in the 82nd minute. Achille set herself up for a free kick, which would bounce off of the top of the crossbar and into the net, just beneath junior keeper Emily Doherty.

The Seawolves were not able to finish any of their shots on offense. They played an aggressive game on the offensive side, forcing junior goalkeeper Claudia Dube-Trempe to make eight saves on a total of 16 shots.

The defense did their part in keeping the score tied throughout most of the game. However, Stony Brook’s defensive lapse on the corner kick that led to the first goal and the foul right outside the box that set up Achille’s free kick were the difference in the end, giving the Black Bears opportunities that the team took advantage of.

With the win tonight, Maine clinched a spot in the America East Women’s Soccer Tournament, alongside New Hampshire and Hartford.

The Seawolves, who are 6-8-3 on the season and have their year on the line, will play their final regular season game on Sunday against the UMBC at 2 p.m..