Student groups show off their talents at the Seawolves Showcase

Homecoming week began to fire up when various dance crews and artists showed off their swagger at the 2015 Seawolves Showcase on Thursday, Oct. 15.

The Seawolves Showcase is a talent show that takes place on the Staller Steps the night before the Homecoming football game.

The University Spirit and Pride committee created this event five years ago.

On one side of the Staller Steps, there were banners created by clubs, organizations and residence halls in the running for a competition.

The first place winner received their name inscribed on the Homecoming Pride Cup.

The first, second, and third place winners will received certificates and a pizza party.

Over 800 students gathered around the Staller Steps for dancing, music and glow sticks.

The Showcase started with the SBU Dance team performing in collaboration with the beloved mascot Wolfie.

Wolfie then closed the performance with his signature howl.

Mike Palmer, the host of the Showcase, presented the Homecoming Court on stage along with the Spirit of Stony Brook Marching Band.

The Marching Band started its performance in order to rile the crowd and cheer on the Seawolves Football team for the Homecoming game the next day.

The band played songs from its halftime repertoire.

Songs included the popular single “Honey I’m Good” by Andy Grammer and “Only the Good Die Young,” by Billy Joel, a Long Island native and a recipient of an honorary Ph.D from Stony Brook.

After the Homecoming Court made its appearance, the Stony Brook Football team came onto stage and pumped the crowd up for the following days game.

Then, a player requested a song from the DJ and the team entertained the audience with their dance moves.

The players broke into song, singing “We ready for y’all,” preparing themselves for the game.

Some past acts that performed in the Showcase have returned to the stage.

One of the performers was rapper JUS. He got the audience fired up with his raps and energetic dance moves.

The acapella groups also returned to the Showcase stage. One group was an all male group, the High C’s which performed “No Diggity” and got the crowd cheering louder.

After that, the Stony Brook Vocalists, performed the hit song “Cheerleader” by OMI.

In between performances, Wolfie impressed the audience with his own dance moves. People began to cheer even louder when Wolfie threw t-shirts out into the crowd.

One performance that stood out was the Pocket Theater group’s dance routine.

As the eventful night came to an end, Stony Brook students were full of spirit and energy, ready for a Homecoming weekend to remember.