Edwards scores 9th of season as Stony Brook draws at Binghamton

Redshirt junior Raven Edwards headed in a 68th minute goal to salvage a 1-1 draw for the Stony Brook Women’s Soccer team on the road against the Binghamton Bearcats on a cold and windy Thursday night in Vestal, New York.

For Edwards, the second-half header marked her eighth goal in as many games as she has tormented America East rivals with her play this season. With the draw, the Seawolves’ conference record is now 2-2-1, fifth in the conference standings.

Binghamton sophomore midfielder Valerie McNamara scored the first goal of the game in the 30th minute, when she booted the ball into the top-right corner of the net to give the Bearcats a 1-0 advantage. The play began with a cross from the right side of the field by senior midfielder Katherine Corcoran into the penalty box. After Stony Brook’s defense failed on a couple of chances to clear the loose ball, McNamara turned, aimed and rifled home the early go-ahead tally.

Corcoran was a thorn in the Seawolves’ side all night long, shooting a game-high six times, including five attempts that ended up on goal. McNamara and freshman midfielder Sierra Barr added four shots on goal apiece for the Bearcats, as Binghamton’s offense wreaked havoc throughout the match, forcing Stony Brook to earn its draw.

Stony Brook junior goalkeeper Emily Doherty had a career-high 17 saves, as she was challenged all match long. In the 84th minute, Doherty made her biggest save of the night, robbing Binghamton junior forward Leighann Bennett. Bennett put a strong kick on goal from inside of 10 yards, but Doherty’s quick reflexes enabled Stony Brook to stave off an excellent chance.

Offensively, chances were scarce for the Seawolves for most of the match. However, the squad was able to avoid a tough loss when a nifty second-half passing play tied the match. Edwards’ ninth goal of the season came on a beautiful, arching left-footed cross from junior defender Hannah Groth. The assist was the first point of the season for Groth.

Senior midfielder Tessa Devereaux attempted five shots on goal in the match for Stony Brook, the most on the team. The captain struck a pair of shots narrowly wide in the first half. Senior defender Priscilla Wiggins had an extra-time chance in the 106th minute, but the long-range kick was saved by Binghamton sophomore goalkeeper Katie Hatziyianis.

A draw is a disappointing result for the Seawolves, as the Bearcats entered the match on an 11-match losing streak. Stony Brook has been snakebitten by road woes in recent seasons and now has a 17-match winless streak in away games. The last time the Seawolves have won a match away from Kenneth P. LaValle Stadium was at Maine on Oct. 27, 2013.

The Seawolves return home for a 4 p.m. match on Sunday when they host the UMass Lowell River Hawks. UMass Lowell is 2-3-0 in the America East after a 3-1 win against Vermont on Thursday night.