Men’s Soccer suffers setback at UMass Lowell

It was 1-0 UMass Lowell at the start of the second half. The Stony Brook Men’s Soccer team was just a quick goal from getting right back into the game.

But it was not to be, as UMass Lowell scored right away in the second half to give the River Hawks a game-sealing lead that Stony Brook could not overcome. The Seawolves lost to the River Hawks 2-0 at Cushing Field on Wednesday night.

Senior forward Jay Marchand and sophomore midfielder Jacob Fitzgerald both scored for the River Hawks, while the Seawolves were unable to generate any significant offensive attack to challenge their opponents.

The first half was mostly a stalemate between the two teams in terms of opportunities. It was not until right before halftime that UMass Lowell took its first chance and with it, the game.

Marchand scored in the 39th minute when redshirt freshman forward Paul Beatty made a pass in the box to him. He placed the ball in the corner of the net for his second goal of the season and a 1-0 lead heading into the half.

Three minutes into the second half, Fitzgerald scored his first goal of the season after scoring off his own rebound after Stony Brook senior goalkeeper Jason Orban made a save, giving the River Hawks a 2-0 lead,that they never let up.

The Seawolves were not able to generate much offense against the River Hawks, with only three of their 13 shots ending up on target with none truly threatening a goal. The defense played solidly throughout the contest, giving the team a chance. But breakdowns on the two defensive plays that resulted in the goals for the River Hawks made the difference.

This is the Seawolves’ second straight loss on the road, following a loss against New Hampshire on Saturday. The last time the Seawolves lost two straight road games was earlier in the season in non-conference play against Louisville and Marist. Both games resulted in a 3-1 loss for the Seawolves.

The Seawolves are now 1-2-0 in conference play and are 4-6-2 on the year. Their next game is at home on Sunday, Oct. 18 at 1 p.m. at Kenneth P. LaValle Stadium. Stony Brook will look to get back on track against a familiar foe in Vermont, a team Stony Brook has not beaten since 2011.