Men’s Hoops Drops Season Finale,77-55

The last time they trailed at halftime, it was late January and the deficit was only two. Sunday, the Stony Brook University men’s basketball team was in a 14-point hole at the break, struggling against the eager and desperate New Hampshire Wildcats.

The lead would swell to as many as 25 points. For 40 minutes, the teams switched roles.

New Hampshire played like the America East top dogs, hitting a scorching 50 percent of their shots in the first period and forcing turnovers to fuel their offensive machine. Meanwhile, Stony Brook was overwhelmed, with foul trouble and poor shooting impairing any chances of a come back.

When the final horn sounded, the Seawolves were on the losing end for the first time since falling to Maine in mid-January. Gone is the 10-game winning streak and the notion of being invincible heading into the championship tournament this weekend.

The Seawolves brought their conference best 21-7 record into Whittemore Center Arena, along with the aftertaste of Wednesday’s thrilling win over Vermont. The Wildcats brought their desperation, trying to move up in standings and  send their seniors off on a high note with a win over the regular season champions.

This time, desperation came out on top as the Wildcats hit the conference heavyweights with blow after blow. They came from long distance and short range, defensively and offensively. Eventually, the Seawolves surrendered to the onslaught, playing to keep the score close but still falling 77-55.

It’s the seventh consecutive time that Stony Brook has lost in New Hampshire, and the Wildcats eliminated the Seawolves from the championhip tournament