Raven Edwards named America East Women’s Soccer Player of the Week

Raven Edwards (above, No. 9) scores a goal after stealing the ball from the goalie on Sunday night's game. KRYSTEN MASSA/THE STATESMAN
Raven Edwards (No. 9, above) scores a goal after stealing the ball from goalkeeper Mimi Borkan  in Sunday afternoon’s game against New Hampshire. KRYSTEN MASSA/THE STATESMAN

A career-best season continues to unfold for Stony Brook Women’s Soccer’s redshirt junior forward Raven Edwards, who was recognized as the America East Women’s Soccer Player of the Week for the week of Oct. 5-11.

Edwards netted three goals in an undefeated week for Stony Brook. Her team beat Albany on Thursday and New Hampshire on Sunday in a pair of key home wins to bring the team’s conference record to 2-2-0.

In Thursday’s match against the Great Danes, Edwards scored in the 7th minute to give the Seawolves a 1-0 lead. Emerging with the ball between two defenders, the New Jersey native drilled a 22-yard shot into the net en route to an important 2-0 Stony Brook victory against its in-state rival.

On Sunday afternoon, Edwards dominated play in Kenneth P. LaValle Stadium. In the 10th minute, New Hampshire junior goalkeeper Mimi Borkan came out of the net and mishandled a rolling deep ball. Using her speed, Edwards beat Borkan to the loose ball, dribbled around her, and tapped the ball in the net for an early 2-0 Stony Brook lead.

After the visiting Wildcats stormed back to tie the match 2-2 in the second half, Edwards was fouled just inside the penalty box in the 87th minute. Nominated to take the game-deciding penalty-kick by head coach Sue Ryan, Edwards tucked the ball into the bottom-left corner of the net to give Stony Brook a 3-2 win over a New Hampshire squad that came into the match undefeated in conference play.

Although Edwards’ bid for her first career hat trick clanked off the left post in the 89th minute, the victory still marked Edwards’ third two-goal game of her career.

On the season, Edwards has a career-high eight goals, second-highest in the America East. She will have an opportunity to add to her total on Thursday, when Stony Brook plays on the road against Binghamton.