Jeter Scores 1,000th Point, Seawolves Fall to Boston

Junior Kirsten Jeter  (Elmont, N.Y.) scored her 1,000th point as a Seawolf, but Stony Brook’s women’s basketball team saw another close one slip away Wednesday night, falling to the Boston University Terriers, 69-59.

The loss drops the Seawolves to 8-18 this season.  The team is 6-8 in America East play.

Jeter, the fourteenth player in school history to reach 1,000 points, led the Seawolves in scoring, dropping 22 points on the Terriers.  She also grabbed six rebounds.

Senior Crystal Rushin (Valley Stream, N.Y.) contributed a double-double, scoring 10  points and pulling down 14 rebounds.

The Seawolves were in the hunt early on and led for a   good    portion   of the first half until Boston’s Alex Young hit a three-pointer to tie the score at  20  with  7:24 to go  in  the  half.

Stony Brook wouldn’t let go and battled back to tie the game at 23 with a Jeter jumper.

But the trail went cold soon after, and Stony Brook trailed by 10 at the half.

The Seawolves couldn’t get their noses back in front in the second half, despite outrebounding the Terriers, 51-42, in the game.

The Seawolves next take the floor on Feb. 23 when they take on Vermont in Pritchard Gymnasium, one of two women’s home games left.