Edwards’ PK goal salvages tie with Yale

Raven Edwards (above, No. 4)JESSICA CHIN
Raven Edwards (above, No. 9)  scored her third goal of the season on this 87th minute penalty kick, tying the game. JESSICA CHIN/THE STATESMAN

Despite struggling offensively throughout the game, the Stony Brook Seawolves escaped today’s game against the Yale Bulldogs with a 1-1 tie on Sunday at Kenneth P. LaValle Stadium.

In the first half, Stony Brook and Yale kept each other scoreless as they both played very good defense.

Both teams had good scoring chances, but neither of them were able to break through.

Junior goalie Emily Doherty had some help from the post when a Yale forward headed a ball into the post, leaving the score at 0-0 going into halftime.

Sophomore midfielder Sarah McCauley gave the Bulldogs a 1-0 lead at the 61st minute with her first goal of the season, getting assists from senior defender Ally Grossman and freshman midfielder Sofia Griff.

A cross into the box was flicked on and McCauley found herself on the end of it, ready to finish it to the far post and give Yale its lead that would last almost to the end.

With time winding down in the game Seawolves redshirt junior forward Raven Edwards was tripped in the box at the 87th minute to set up a penalty kick.

Edwards converted the golden opportunity, kicking it on the top side past senior goalkeeper Rachel Ames, who committed the foul to set up the penalty.

It was Edward’s third goal of the year.

“I just have to make it in to go through overtime,” Edwards said. “We didn’t get the result we wanted but we still worked hard and did are best to stay composed,” she added when asked about setting up the penalty and then finishing it off.

“I wanted them to go for the win I didn’t want them to settle for the tie,” Stony Brook head coach Sue Ryan said when asked what she told her team in the locker room at halftime.

Even though the result was not what Ryan wanted, she was not completely disappointed with the result.

“It’s a mixed bag it’s very positive we stayed fighting for so long to earn the tie,” Ryan said. “We had a good team performance, the final piece offensively is our final pass and getting into the attack to get good quality chances.”

In the first half, Doherty was in goal for the Seawolves.

In the second half, Ryan decided to put freshman goalkeeper Cara Gallagher between the posts.

“We are trying to quality minutes for both goalies since they are both new to the team this year,” Ryan added, as the carousel of goalkeeping has continued throughout the season.

Doherty had two saves in as many shots and Gallagher had five saves on six shots.

Along with scoring the only goal for Stony Brook Edwards also had the most shots and most shots on goal for her team.

The Seawolves were outshot by Yale 22-11, and 8-4 in shots on goal.

After being close in the first half in the shot total at 6-5, the Seawolves were dominated in the final 65 minutes of the match.

The Bulldogs outshot the Seawolves 16-6 in the second half and both overtimes, but Stony Brook was still able to salvage one point out of the match.

In both overtimes, both teams played good defense.

As a result, the game was very back-and-forth, with not a lot of good scoring chances coming for either team.

The game ended in a tie because of it, giving each team a point in the standings.

This was Stony Brook’s first overtime game of the season.

This brings Stony Brook’s record to 3-5-1 despite breaking out for three goals against Fairleigh Dickinson.

The Seawolves struggled to score until their penalty kick finally got them on the board.

“We have to take our shots and finish our chances,” Ryan said when asked about the chances her team generated, but to no avail outside of the penalty kick goal.

The Seawolves next game is on Wednesday against Fairfield, who fell to Niagara 3-1 on Saturday.

Stony Brook looks to inch themselves closer to .500 as they prepare to play another non-conference game at LaValle Stadium.

This will be the final non-conference game of 2015 for the Seawolves, as they will begin their America East conference schedule on Sept. 27 when they head to Burlington, Vermont to take on the Catamounts.

Stony Brook defeated Vermont last season 1-0 at home with a Hannah Groth goal in the 24th minute being the difference in a game that was late in the year with playoff implications on the line.