Offensive struggles continue as Women’s Soccer loses third in a row

The Stony Brook women’s soccer team faltered in the first game of the Seawolves’ two-game Fairfield Tournament. The team fell 3-1 to the Central Connecticut Blue Devils on Friday, pushing its losing streak to three in the first three games of the season.

It was another concerning sight for the Seawolves. They once again struggled to find their groove offensively. They have now combined to score just one goal in their first three games, while allowing seven.

Before the whistle sounded for halftime, the Seawolves found themselves with a 2-0 deficit on their hands. Desperate for any type of offense, Stony Brook received a penalty kick at the middle stages of the second half. Redshirt junior forward Raven Edwards slotted it, giving the Seawolves their first goal of the year and cutting the deficit to 2-1. Edwards, a veteran to the team,  was the most active on the field, adding five shots to the penalty shot she scored. 

Although the Seawolves managed to get on the scoreboard with plenty of time left in the game, they failed to build off of it and went quietly for the remaining time.

Freshman goalkeeper Cara Gallagher was in net, finishing with three saves. 

The Seawolves managed 14 shots towards the net and stayed on-side for the duration of the match. 

Central Connecticut seemed to be running on all cylinders, as the Blue Devils saw solid performances on both sides of the ball. Junior goalkeeper Nicki Turley let in just Edwards’s one penalty kick and stopped seven shots. The Blue Devils also had eight players record a shot, five of which had multiple for a total of 18.

The Seawolves will look for their first win of the season on Sunday morning when they take on Drexel in their final game in Fairfield. Kickoff is scheduled for 11 a.m..