Why hasn’t ESPN fired Britt McHenry yet?

PHOTO CREDIT: KEITH ALLISON
A surveillance video leaked online showing Britt McHenry, above, berating a towing company employee. ESPN suspended McHenry for a week following the leaked footage. PHOTO CREDIT: KEITH ALLISON

There is a video floating around of ESPN sports reporter Britt McHenry being portrayed as something she probably thought she would never be—extremely ugly.

The video shows the 28-year-old going full Regina George on a towing company employee. McHenry was apparently trying to pick up her car from an attendant, but an altercation occurred between her and the employee. McHenry turned from polite to nasty real quick.

After the video went viral, ESPN took action and suspended McHenry for one week.

Nobody knows what happened leading up to the video, or if the parking attendant was egging her tantrum on. The video only shows a minute of McHenry in her hulk rage state against the parking employee and edits out any comments the employee made back.

Honestly though, I do not need to hear what was said leading up to her tirade because very few things could have justified what she said. Not only that, but receiving a one week suspension for her actions is a pathetic excuse for a punishment. McHenry should have been fired, and it should have happened a while ago.

The video opens with McHenry telling the employee, “I’m in the news sweetheart, I will f***ing sue this place.” Awesome. That is just the kind of pompous attitude you need when dealing with conflict.

The video cuts to her saying that she cannot stand being at this place because it makes her skin crawl. She accuses the attendant of only wanting to take people’s money and having “no education and no skill set.” She even says that if she lost some teeth she could work at this place too. Before snatching up her papers and storming off, McHenry tells the employee to “lose some weight, babygirl.”

Before I rip McHenry a new one, I will say that yes, parking/towing companies everywhere have had a bit of a bad history with customer service. Anybody who has been to the DMV for more than five minutes contemplates murdering at least three people behind the counter. But in any of these blood boiling moments I never forget my civility, manners or how to act like a decent human being, something McHenry certainly cannot say for herself.

Being a reporter for ESPN Sports, McHenry has to understand the pros and cons of being in the spotlight. When that camera goes on and the players down on the field are being interviewed, the reporter on the scene is the face of the news channel that he or she represents. ESPN is too credible, and too smart for that matter, to not know that keeping McHenry is only going to hurt the appeal of their company. If Brian Williams, the long-time face of NBC, can be suspended for lying on camera, a sports reporter with little to no credibility should be fired.

Oh, and did I mention this is not the first time something like this has happened?

McHenry was involved in a similar disagreement online with a Twitter user. A female attorney tweeted about her disgust of sexualization of women in sports broadcasting saying, “I wish there were more women in sports broadcasting that aren’t completely sexualized.” McHenry replied to this by saying women can be both intelligent and beautiful. Both the original tweeter and other Twitter users hopped in saying that was not the intention of the attorney’s tweet.

To all this heat, McHenry replies, “You sound really bitter. Maybe if you work as hard as you say you do, you wouldn’t bash more successful people on Twitter.”

McHenry, babygirl, can you step off? I am pretty sure if there is ever a shortage of helium in this world, we can tap into McHenry’s brain. Did the world forget to tell her that starting fights over the internet stopped being acceptable in seventh grade? How many times is McHenry’s temper going to get the better of her, only to have her actions brushed off?

I do not want to be one of those people that tries to ruin someone’s life over nothing. McHenry’s job is a dream for many people, and if messed up, there are not often second chances.

But McHenry crossed a serious line. She was aware that she was on camera, and that what she was saying was uncalled for, but she said it anyway. She did not only call out the employee for doing her job incorrectly, but also deliberately belittled her looks, her intelligence and the employee as a person.

If McHenry is as smart as she claims, then she would have known that she cannot be a popular public figure while acting like this. I just hope ESPN is smart enough to realize this too.