Eighth-inning burst leads Seawolves past Central Connecticut

CAMERON BOON / THE STATESMAN
Sophomore Jeremy Giles (above, No. 2) recorded three hits and four RBI, including a bases-loaded double in the eighth, in the Seawolves’ 12-6 win over Central Connecticut on Wednesday. CAMERON BOON / THE STATESMAN

Late inning heroics from Jeremy Giles and Jack Parenty allowed the Seawolves to pull out the 12-6 win against the Central Connecticut Blue Devils on Wednesday, April 22 in New Britain, Connecticut.

The offense started quickly  as Central Connecticut was the first to score in the bottom of the first inning, taking the lead 1-0.

However, the Seawolves managed to take control of the game, as their pitching soon tightened up for the next four innings.

The trio of Nicholas DiEva, Tim Knesik and Joseph Guercio combined for five innings of four-hit, one-run baseball. In that time frame, the Seawolves flexed their offensive muscle, giving opposing starter Jesse Frawley trouble over his six innings pitched.

In the second inning, Casey Baker doubled and was then driven in by Giles. Additionally, a throwing error let Cole Peragine score in the third.

After a scoreless fourth inning with the score 2-1, a pair of doubles from Toby Handley and Malcolm Nachmanoff let the Seawolves put up two more runs in the fifth.

Cole Creighton scored on a fielder’s choice in the sixth to give the Seawolves a big 5-1 lead, but it would not last long.

Stony Brook pitcher Aaron Pinto was roughed up in the sixth inning, with a pair of doubles plating four of the five baserunners he allowed. Central Connecticut was the only team that scored in the seventh, putting the Seawolves in a 6-5 deficit heading into the eighth.

However, the Seawolves rose to the challenge. They exploded for seven runs, batting through the entire order. Giles came up twice, with a single from which he later scored and a double that drove in three runs. Parenty batted in two more runs himself, while Handley and Bobby Honeyman both added RBI off of walks. Central Connecticut had no hope of answering this eruption, and the Seawolves took the win 12-6.

Giles was the star of the game, extending his hitting streak to nine games with a three-hit, four-RBI performance. Nick Brass picked up the first win of the season, while Stanley Wolpiuk of Central Connecticut took the loss. It was a great day for pretty much every Seawolf involved, with every starter recording a hit.

The Seawolves will hope to take this momentum to their next series, where they will face off over three games against their rivals, the Albany Great Danes on Saturday, April 25 at 12 p.m. and 3 p.m. and then again on Sunday, April 26 at 12 p.m.