Women’s lacrosse wins final road game of the season against Hofstra

MANJU SHIVACHARAN / THE STATESMAN
Sophomore Courtney Murphy (above, No. 18) scored four goals in the Seawolves’ 12-8 victory over Hofstra on Tuesday. She was assisted by freshman Kylie Ohlmiller on two of the goals. MANJU SHIVACHARAN / THE STATESMAN

Sophomores Courtney Murphy and Dorrien Van Dyke led the way for the No. 6/5 Stony Brook Seawolves in their 12-8 romp of the Hofstra Pride Tuesday night, April 21, in Hempstead, N.Y.

Murphy led the Seawolves in the first half with a hat trick. After letting Hofstra get off to an early one-goal lead, the Seawolves equalized on her first goal of the game. Murphy kept coming back for more. Her next goal gave the Seawolves their first lead of the game at 3-2. Even after Hofstra tied it again at three, Murphy was able to push the envelope and give the Seawolves another lead.

However, the game was not just an unaided effort by Murphy. Van Dyke closed out a tight first half by giving the Seawolves the lead for good at 5-4.  Her first goal of the game came off of a pass from junior Taylor Ranftle and jump-started a four-goal run for the Seawolves.

Van Dyke opened up the second with her second goal of the game. Her last goal of the night came on a free position shot with less than ten minutes left to play.

Along with Murphy and Van Dyke, freshman Kylie Ohlmiller led the charge for the Seawolves. Her two goals were accompanied by an assist, giving her three points on the night. Sophomore Kristin Yevoli also had two goals, giving her ten total for the season.

After their win against backyard rival Hofstra, Stony Brook will come back to Kenneth P. LaValle Stadium to take on America East rival UMass Lowell in their last regular season game at 7 p.m. on Saturday, April 25.