Between the Lines: Four points from this week’s action

Mike Rooney, no. 1 above, leads the country in total points and assists in his senior season. MANJU SHIVACHARAN / THE STATESMAN
Mike Rooney (above, No. 1) leads the country in total points and assists in his senior season. MANJU SHIVACHARAN / THE STATESMAN

Point 1: Stony Brook Baseball is getting hot, and that is scary for the rest of the America East conference.

Not only is Matt Senk’s Stony Brook baseball squad taking down teams outside of its conference (see the comeback win against LIU Brooklyn and two wins against the Big East’s Georgetown Hoyas), but the Seawolves are also getting hot within the America East.

This team, which had a bunch of questions coming into the season, is developing back into a perennial conference power.

Need proof? Jack Parenty is hitting at a scorching .364 pace this season, which ranks in the top 70 nationally. Andruw Gazzola and Jeremy Giles are also swinging hot bats, hitting safely in eight straight games.

The pitching void left by Brandon McNitt and Frankie Vanderka has been immediately filled by Daniel Zamora and a combination of Ryley MacEachern and Nicholas DiEva.

There is also Tyler Honahan, who is pitching with a 5-2 record with a 3.14 ERA and striking out 46 batters. He has also allowed only four runs in his past three starts, hitting his stride right as May comes around.

It may not be 2012’s version, but this team is gelling at the right time, as the possibility of a Cinderella slipper in the NCAA’s is in full view.

-By Cameron Boon, Assistant Sports Editor

Point 2: Bria Green is staying hot for, and chasing records for Stony Brook Softball.

If you pitch to Bria Green, you are going to have a bad time.

That is what Fairfield discovered on Wednesday when it opted to pitch to the senior outfielder with a runner on and two outs in the bottom of the seventh of a tie game. Rather than intentionally walking the red-hot Seawolves slugger, Fairfield chose to pitch to her, leaving the door open for her to do major offensive damage.

And she did just that. With the game on the line, Green hit a moonshot deep over the centerfield wall to win the game for Stony Brook, as her teammates greeted her at home plate in a state of jubilation.

This is a teachable moment for opposing pitchers, as it represents a perfect example of what not to do when Green comes up with runners in scoring position. Many, including Seawolves coach Megan Bryant, were surprised that Green would even get an opportunity to face live pitching with the game on the line. Opposing pitchers should learn from this costly Fairfield mistake.

Green is in the midst of perhaps the best offensive season in Stony Brook softball history. She is currently batting .452 with 15 home runs and 40 RBI in 30 games. With just three more home runs and 11 more RBI, Green will become Stony Brook’s all-time single-season leader in both categories, which would be the icing on the cake of a dominant season.

-By Chris Gaine, Staff Writer

Point 3: Stony Brook men’s lacrosse will have two All-Americans.

Last year, there were 42 Division-I men’s lacrosse All-Americans and another 51 honorable mentions. None of them wore a Stony Brook uniform.

At the pace senior midfielder Mike Rooney and junior attack Brody Eastwood are playing, this is bound to change in 2015.

In Wednesday’s loss to Duke, Rooney tied a school record for most points in a season, reaching the 82 mark with three goals and two assists, and then broke it against Binghamton Sunday with a nine-point outing.

He is currently the nation’s point leader and sits at third in points per game with 5.86, behind Albany’s Lyle Thompson and Brown’s Dylan Molloy. Rooney also leads the country in assists, as he is tied with Thompson with 46.

Eastwood has a knack for finding the back of the net. In Stony Brook’s 20-9 shelling against UMass Lowell, he recorded ten goals, which proved to be more than the entire opposition.

Eastwood, like Rooney, is also a Division I leader, as he has buried the most goals on the season, 53, and is second behind Molloy in goals per game, at 3.79.

Maybe Eastwood’s most impressive quality is his efficiency. He holds, by far, the highest shot percentage in the country at .631 percent. The runner-up, Boston University’s Adam Schaal, has shot .568 percent and has taken half of the attempts.

By Chris Peraino, Staff Writer

Point 4: Kylie Ohlmiller is an offensive catalyst for Stony Brook women’s lacrosse

In any sport, there is only so much you can realistically expect out of a college freshman. The typical freshman is usually hesitant and turnover-prone. Kylie Ohlmiller defies conventional wisdom.

The 5-3 Islip product leads the Seawolves in points (59) and assists (27) this season, and trails only Courtney Murphy in goals on the team (32).

Perhaps the most impressive  thing about Ohlmiller’s game is her vision offensively. Usually stationed at the side of the net to the opposing goaltender’s left, Ohlmiller, being a left-handed shot, has the angles needed to either shoot the ball or set up a teammate (most often Murphy) cutting towards the net. She makes decisive plays before the opposing defense can even react, and has the wisdom not to force the ball when the lanes are not available to shoot or pass.

The emergence of Ohlmiller as a superstar has been crucial in the No. 6 Seawolves’ outstanding season. Everyone knew that Head Coach Joe Spallina’s defense would be among the nation’s best, but Ohlmiller’s play at the offensive end has helped elevate this team to the national contenders they are now considered to be.

-By Skyler Gilbert, Staff Writer