USG announces two more artists that will perform at Brookfest

PHOTO CREDIT: MARK GUIM
USG has announced that hip-hop artist B.o.B. (above) and the band Twenty One Pilots will also be performing at Brookfest 2015 this year, alongside Panic! At the Disco. B.o.B. was only 17-years-old when he signed his first major-label record deal, according to Billboard.com. PHOTO CREDIT: MARK GUIM

The Undergraduate Student Government has now announced the other acts that will be performing at the Brookfest 2015: B.o.B. and Twenty One Pilots.

Even before this announcement, student comments were mixed regarding Brookfest after USG announced that Panic! at the Disco would be performing, with some saying the band was a flashback to middle school.

B.o.B first broke into the music world in 2006 with his mixtape “Cloud 9.” Hailing from outside Atlanta, the rapper, known to some as Bobby Ray, has been nominated for six Grammy awards.

B.o.B has also worked with Haley Williams of Paramore on the song “Airplanes” and Bruno Mars on “Nothin’ on You.”

B.o.B has performed at other schools, like the University of Houston and Indiana University.

Twenty One Pilots is a two-piece band from Ohio. The band’s sound is a mix between indie pop and pop-rap. Twenty One Pilots’ first album, also named “Twenty One Pilots,” was independently released in 2009. The group’s next album, “Regional at Best,” was released in 2011, followed by “Vessel” in 2013. The band plans to release an album on May 19 of this year called “Blurryface.”

The group also has some experience playing at a university. When the group had its “Quiet is Violent” tour in 2014,  it stopped at Iowa State University to play for the students there.

Vice President of Communications for USG Danny Chung said that the decision regarding the artists was partly influenced by the students who attended the Student Activity Board meetings.

Chung said that USG felt Twenty One Pilots would be a good act to transition between the other two because the group is a mix of the other two artists’ music styles.

Now that all of the artists have been released, the countdown to Brookfest is on. Brookfest will take place on Friday, April 24 at 7 p.m. at the Island Federal Credit Union Arena.