Softball searching for more consistency from offense

Allison Cukrov was Pitcher of the Year within the conference and has had a 3-0 start this season. BASIL JOHN / THE STATESMAN
Allison Cukrov is the reigning America East Pitcher of the Year. She has had a 3-0 start this season. BASIL JOHN / THE STATESMAN

After coming into the year with championship aspirations, Stony Brook softball has posted mixed results through the first 15 games of the season. The Seawolves currently sit at 7-8 on the year. Although the team has yet to play a home game or begin its conference schedule, the early results from the team appear on the surface to be disappointing.

One reason for this sub-.500 performance is the limited offensive production. The Seawolves have recorded the fewest hits of all America East teams this season.

Regular starters Kellie Reynolds, Melissa Phelan, Chelsea Evans, Kim Ragazzo and Lexie Shue are all currently batting below .200. These five players have combined for just 12 extra base hits. Another issue stems from a lack of depth at the back end of the rotation.

Although reigning conference Pitcher of the Year Allison Cukrov has impressed with a 3-0 record, freshman pitcher Maddy Neales has gone just 1-2 with a 6.75 ERA in five appearances. Likewise, junior Jane Sallen is only 3-6 in her nine starts this season.

Despite these mishaps, there are many positive takeaways to be had through the season’s first 15 games. Senior outfielder Bria Green is dominating with the bat, leading the conference in hitting, home runs and slugging percentage.

Green’s .429 batting average makes her one of just three America East players with a batting average over .400.

Although a 7-8 record may appear to be disappointing, the Seawolves have actually gotten off to a better start this year than they did last year.

At this point last season, the Seawolves had a 5-10 record through 15 games. The 2014 team was able to turn their season around by dominating conference play with a 15-2 record. Eventually, that team made its way to the America East Championship.

The Seawolves may not have had an ideal start to the season, but it appears as if there is room for improvement. With stars like Green and Cukrov, Stony Brook still factors in as a contender during conference play. Stony Brook saw its series with UMass-Lowell postponed over the weekend.

The team will return to action this Tuesday, when the Seawolves host a doubleheader against Central Connecticut.