Honahan struggles in loss to Creighton

After Honahan struggled on the mound in the game against Creighton, Chad Lee (above) was sent in to clean up. MEGAN MILLER / THE STATESMAN
After Tyler Honahan struggled on the mound in the game against Creighton, Chad Lee, above, was sent in to clean up. MEGAN MILLER / THE STATESMAN

In a season that has already been horrendously stunted by inclement weather, the Stony Brook Seawolves baseball team’s spell of bad luck spilled over onto Sunday afternoon when they fell to the Creighton Blue Jays by a final of 8-3. Originally planned as three-game, three-day series against the club from Omaha, Nebraska, the “series” became a simple one-game confrontation on Sunday afternoon with nearly no traces of snow in sight. Sending their ace to the hill in junior Tyler Honahan, the Seawolves seemed to have the upper-hand on paper.

But for the first time on the year, Honahan would struggle mightily. Allowing five earned runs in just 1.1 innings of work, Stony Brook faced a 7-0 deficit after just an inning and a half of action. It was an error by Honahan himself in the second inning that spurned on a fire that could seemingly not be contained.

By the time junior Chad Lee extinguished the flames, six runs had crossed the plate, presenting a daunting task for the Seawolves’ offense. If the entire lineup could have hit like junior outfielder Jack Parenty, a comeback may have been feasible. After an RBI double in both the fifth and seventh innings, Parenty would finish the day a perfect 3-for-3 with two of the three Stony Brook RBIs. The Jays employed their entire arsenal of arms, with no pitcher seeing the hill for more than two innings.

Eight pitchers would combine to hold the Seawolves to just seven hits and three runs. This was not nearly enough to scale back into the hole they had presented for themselves. Manager Matt Senk’s decision to mix up the batting order and place senior catcher Cole Peragine in the leadoff spot has seemingly begun to pay off, as Peragine walked three times in the Sunday contest.

He has now earned 17 free passes on the season, and would score on both of Parenty’s RBI doubles. Next up, the Seawolves hit the road to take on the Sacred Heart Pioneers on Wednesday afternoon at 3:30. They will then return home next week for a planned three-game series against a new America East opponent, the UMass-Lowell
River Hawks. It is the school’s second season in the conference, but the Seawolves will look to avenge a series loss last season, as Stony Brook dropped two of three in Lowell.