Scognamiglio’s big night not enough to save Seawolves from elimination in opening round of WBI

Christa Scognamiglio (above) scored 16 points and made 9 rebounds in the Seawolves first and only game in the WBI against Siena. BASIL JOHN / THE STATESMAN
Christa Scognamiglio, above, scored 16 points and made nine rebounds in the Seawolves first and only game in the WBI against Siena. BASIL JOHN / THE STATESMAN

Christa Scognamiglio broke onto the Stony Brook women’s basketball scene as the calendar flipped to 2015, but she was not able to save the Seawolves’ season last Thursday night in Loudonville, New York.

The sophomore tallied 16 points and nine rebounds, but it was not enough as Stony Brook had its season come to an end against Siena 53-46 in the first round of the Women’s Basketball Invitational at the Times Union Center.

Fellow sophomore Kori Bayne-Walker finished the day with 12 points and six boards, and senior Jessica Ogunnorin finished with nine points and eight rebounds in her final game in a Seawolves uniform.

The game stayed neck and neck until late in the second half, when the Saints used a 9-0 run to extend a one-point advantage into a double-digit one, 49-39, with 4:06 to go. The Seawolves were able to cut the lead to seven, and when it looked like the team was gaining some momentum, Tehresa Coles rebounded her own miss and put it back home with just over two minutes to play and making it a nine-point Saints advantage. Neither team was able to shoot the ball well from the field, with Siena shooting 34.4 percent from the field and Stony Brook shooting at a 31.4 percent clip. Caroline McCombs’ squad accepted an invitation to participate in the WBI, after being upset by the sixth-seed UMBC Retrievers in Quarterfinals of the America East Tournament. The Seawolves finished the season 17-14, losing their final three matchups. Siena moved onto the second round of the WBI to take on Xavier. Stony Brook fell in its second-straight postseason game, falling to Michigan in last years’ Women’s National Invitational Tournament.