Men’s lax beats Rutgers, wins fourth straight game

Stony brook has pushed their winning streak to four games beating out Rutgers in a high paced game. CHRISTOPHER CAMERON / THE STATESMAN
Stony Brook has pushed its winning streak to four games, beating out Rutgers in a high-paced game. CHRISTOPHER CAMERON / THE STATESMAN

After beating Marist on the road, the Stony Brook men’s lacrosse team looked to finish off its road trip with a win against Rutgers. The Seawolves succeded, winning 13-9, and bringing their win streak to four games.

The first period looked like it was going to be a blowout for the Scarlet Knights. Sophomore attacked Christian Trasolini got on the board first for Rutgers, connecting on the assist from junior attacker Scott Bieda.

Trasolini scored once again jsut five minutes into the game, this time on an assist from senior midfielder Rich Rambo. Sophomore midfielder Jeff George also scored, getting his fifth goal of the year.

After the George goal, Stony Brook needed a spark. Mike Rooney scored off an assist by junior Challen Rogers. Rooney scored another just a minute after his first.

Junior midfielder Chris Hughes hit the equalizer, bringing the game to a 3-3 tie at the end of the first.

The Seawolves got on the board first in the second period after Hughes scored on an assist from sophomore midfielder Jeff Reh. Not to be outdone, the Scarlet Knights tied the game 4-4.

Stony Brook ended the period on a two goal run, the first coming from Rogers and the second by sophomore midfielder Alex Corpolongo on an assist by junior attacker Matt Schultz.

The third period was more of the same for the Seawolves. It started with another Rooney goal four minutes in, giving him his second hat trick of the season. The Seawolves continued adding on to their lead with goals by Corpolongo and Brody Eastwood. Eastwood scored an electrifying goal with a second left on an assist by Schultz, giving the Seawolves a 10-5 lead.

Rutgers responded early on in the fourth, when freshman midfielder Chad Toliver scored his seventh goal of the season. Soon after, Rooney extended the lead back to five with his fourth goal of the game. Brian Goss answered right back, scoring his second of the game.

Midfielder sophomore Ryan Bitzer then scored for the Seawolves. Rutgers answered SBU’s tally once again with another Trasolini goal, his fourth of the game. Junior attacker Ryan Hollingsworth also scored for the Scarlet Knights, giving him his second goal of the season off an assist by Bieda.

The game ended with another Rooney goal for the Seawolves, capping off a 13-9 victory for the team. Stony Brook’s next game will be this Saturday, when the Seawolves host Albany.