Men’s lacrosse wins again, tops Marist 14-10

CHRISTOPHER CAMERON / THE STATESMAN
On Wednesday, the Stony Brook men’s lacrosse team took on the undefeated Marist Red Foxes. Though the game did not go well for the Seawolves at first, the team would emerge with a 14-10 victory. CHRISTOPHER CAMERON / THE STATESMAN

After edging out Fairfield at home, the Seawolves looked to stay on a roll against the undefeated Marist Red Foxes in the first of their two game road trip on Wednesday, March 4. Stony Brook came away with the 14-10 win against the Red Foxes.

It did not start that well for Head Coach Jim Nagle’s squad. The Red Foxes got on board first with a goal in the first minute of the game from senior attackman Colin Joka off an assist by freshman attackman Gannon Morrison.

In the seventh minute of play, Seawolves junior attackman Brody Eastwood got his twelfth goal of the season, the first of three in the game, off of an assist by sophomore midfielder Ryan Bitzer.

The Seawolves could not celebrate for long, as Joka got the pass from Morrison and scored once again a few minutes later. After seeing what Joka was doing, senior midfielder Michael Begley decided to join the party and score his eighth goal of the season for the Red Foxes. With a 3-1 lead to end the first, it looked like the Seawolves were in for a tough loss.

The second period proved to be an offensive showcase for the Seawolves, starting with junior attackman Matt Schultz. Never one to give up, he gave the Seawolves a jump start by scoring one off of a great assist by senior midfielder Mike Rooney. Rooney was not done dishing the ball either, this time hitting sophomore attackman Chris Stemke for the 3-3 tie.

Schultz gave the Seawolves their first lead of the game with his second goal, this time coming off an assist by junior midfielder Chris Hughes. The Seawolves lead was short-lived, however, as Marist’s junior attackman Joseph Radin brought the game to a 4-4 tie.

Try as they might, the Red Foxes could not stop Eastwood, who scored his second goal of the game giving the Seawolves the lead once again. Hughes also scored his first goal of the game. The Red Foxes ended the period with a goal by senior midfielder Drew Nesmith, bringing the game to a 6-5 Seawolves lead.

The Seawolves started the third period red hot, as junior defenseman Dylan Curry got on the board, scoring his second goal of the season. Two minutes later, Hughes got his second goal of the game to extend the lead. Eastwood got his third and final goal as well, scoring off of junior midfielder Challen Roger’s assist.

The Seawolves’ four-goal run came to end as Joka scored his third goal for the Red Foxes. That sparked a Marist four-goal run. Sophomore attackman John Vigh and Radin both scored off of assists by sophomore attackman J.D. Recor and Begley scored his second. Hughes had the last laugh with 12 seconds left in the period, as he scored his third off of a Rooney assist, bringing the score to 11-9.

Rooney started the fourth period off with a bang as he scored his second goal just 32 seconds in. Marist answered back with another Radin goal, this time off a Recor assist. They could not seal the deal, however, as Curry and Rooney both scored.

The Seawolves continue their road trip with a game against Rutgers on March 8 at 2 p.m. They then start a homestand, playing America East rivals Albany on March 14 and UMBC on March 21.