JT Hall nets overtime winner to give Seawolves third straight ESCHL championship

JT Hall had an open shot in front, and he did not waste the championship-winning chance. Brendan Calello had the puck in the corner and chipped it out in front of the net where Hall was waiting to give the Stony Brook club hockey team its third straight ESCHL championship in overtime, winning it 5-4 on Sunday afternoon.

The championship game had all of the drama a title game should, as the Seawolves overcame an early 2-0 deficit for the second-straight game. After falling behind, Stony Brook put together four straight goals, two in the second and two in the third, to take a 4-2 lead.

Tyler Underhill was able to snipe a shot top shelf past Dylan Troiano, who had a fantastic game going for 48 saves.

Sam Brewster was able to put the team up 3-2 with a similar shot, but after the Seawolves got their fourth, UD made a comeback.

The rally was capped with 90 seconds remaining, when Paul Zucker put a rebound off the boards past a diving Derek Willms to tie the score at four.

After close to two-thirds of the overtime period had evaporated, it looked as if the Seawolves were not going to convert a chance, but it was Hall who saved them and their streak of titles with the winner.

In the semifinals Saturday afternoon, it was Hall and Brewster stealing the show, as the Hall set up Brewster three times for a goal, including the game-winner in a 6-2 win.

The Lake Grove, N.Y. native also added a goal of his own in the victory.

After falling behind 2-0 in the first period, the Seawolves scored five goals in a row to seize control and avoid an upset bid.

It was Brewster who gave the Seawolves the lead for good earlier in the period, scoring the first of his three goals when he wound up and ripped one top shelf from the left face-off circle. He would later score on a 2 on 1 with Hall and an empty netter, which the forward also assisted on.