Men’s basketball looks forward to two critical matchups

Ryan Burnett (#33) contesting for the shot in Stony Brook's game against Vermont. BASIL JOHN / THE STATESMAN
Ryan Burnett (No. 33) contesting for the shot in Stony Brook’s game against Vermont. BASIL JOHN / THE STATESMAN

Following a week in which they topped the conference’s two weakest teams, the Seawolves (17-10, 8-4) look to keep rolling as they had into the second-to-last week of the regular season.

First on the docket will be a collision with the Albany Great Danes (18-7, 12-0) on Tuesday night at 7 p.m. from SEFCU Arena.

The Great Danes have won all but three of their conference games by double-digits, showcasing how dominant they have been during this 2014-15 season.  When they came to Stony Brook back on Jan. 19, they handedly took care of the Seawolves, with a final score of 64-47.

In order to slow the relentless Albany assault, the Seawolves will have to zero in on the dynamic scoring tandem of Mike Rowley and Evan Singletary.  To add to their concerns, leading scorer (14.2 points per game) Peter Hooley has returned from his leave of absence.  He has scored in double figures in 15 of the 16 games he has played this year.

With the America East Tournament being structured to favor the higher-seeded teams with home games, the road to the NCAA Tournament almost surely runs through Albany and its undefeated record.

The second game of the week will happen Saturday night at 7 p.m. at home against the Binghamton Bearcats (4-24, 3-10).

Painfully young are the Bearcats, who have just a single senior on their roster, one of whom has played only 33 minutes all year.  Their top three leading scorers are all freshman. In addition, they will be without Dusan Perovic, their leading scorer who had surgery to repair a torn right ACL.

When these two last met on Jan. 25, it took a career-high 27 points from Carson Puriefoy to help the Seawolves pull out the victory. Despite their 4-24 overall record, do not look for Stony Brook to take them lightly as they know a potential matchup in the America East Tournament looms.