Women’s basketball looks to bounce back from loss to Maine

The women's basketball team, despite their efforts, were unable to make a steady claim on the game. BASIL JOHN / THE STATESMAN
The women’s basketball team, despite its efforts, was unable to make a steady claim on its game against Maine. BASIL JOHN / THE STATESMAN

The Stony Brook women’s basketball team is looking to rebound from a 57-49 loss to Maine in its upcoming pair of home games against UMass-Lowell and Albany this week.

In their last matchup against the River Hawks (11-14, 5-8 AE), the Seawolves were able to come away with a close 64-60 win. Senior Sabre Proctor put up an impressive 22 points and grabbed eight rebounds, including two key layups during the final two minutes of the game to put the Seawolves ahead. Junior Brittany Snow scored 17 points and hauled in nine rebounds of her own. Sophomore Christa Scognamiglio put up 13 points.

The Seawolves were able to put up better numbers than the River Hawks almost entirely across the board during their first matchup. Stony Brook outscored UMass-Lowell in the paint 46-30, and the Seawolves shot 43.5 percent from the field, compared to the River Hawks’ 42.9 percent. Both teams were 27.3 percent on three-point shots.  In order to have a successful game this time, the Seawolves will have to attack the paint as much as they did in the first matchup. If they can dominate the paint, they will be able to control the flow of the game.

In the Seawolves’ first game against conference rival Albany (18-7, 11-1 AE), Stony Brook fell just short of an impressive comeback, losing 69-59. After being down 54-34 during the second half, SBU closed the gap to 60-53 with just over three minutes left to play. Scognamiglio had a career night, scoring 19 points including five three-pointers. Senior Jessica Ogunnorin also had a big game for the Seawolves, putting up 16 points and three rebounds.

The Great Danes out-rebounded the Seawolves 31-27 on the game. Stony Brook had 22 offensive rebounds, while Albany only grabbed 16. From the field, the Seawolves out-shot Albany, scoring on 21 of 42 shots (50 percent) while Albany made 23 of 55 shots (41.8 percent).

One of the most important things for Stony Brook to focus on is turnovers. In the last game, Albany scored a whopping 33 of their 69 total points on turnovers. If the Seawolves can maintain possession of the ball for longer and make those possessions count, the game will surely be in their favor. Another important focus of the game is free throws. The Great Danes were 22 for 31 from the line, while Stony Brook was only nine for 11.

The Seawolves will square off against UMass-Lowell on Wednesday, Feb. 11 at 7 p.m.. The Seawolves’ game against Albany is on Sunday, Feb. 22 at 4 p.m. Both games are at home in Island Federal Credit Union Arena.