Women’s basketball looks to extend win streak to three against UMBC

BASIL JOHN / THE STATESMAN
The women’s team currently has a 6-4 record in the conference and is looking to better that record. BASIL JOHN / THE STATESMAN

On Wednesday, Feb. 11, the Seawolves will take on the UMBC Retrievers back home in Island Federal Credit Union Arena at 7 p.m. after a two-game road trip.  They will also look to extend their current win streak to three.

Stony Brook is coming off of a pair of victories against Vermont and New Hampshire.  The team is 6-4 in conference play and 13-10 overall and are fourth in the America East.  UMBC is not playing as well this season and is 3-7 in conference play, which is good for seventh in the America East, and have an overall record of 8-15.

In their first meeting of the season, the Seawolves had a strong second-half performance that allowed them to take a 66-50 win over the Retrievers. Senior forward Sabre Proctor had a double-double with 20 points and 10 rebounds. Junior forward Brittany Snow and sophomore guard Kori Bayne-Walker dropped 16 points apiece in the contest. Bayne-Walker and Proctor will have to continue their great play against UMBC, especially after they scored 23 each in their last game, the win against Vermont.

If the Seawolves want to come out with a win, they are going to need to continue to attack the paint against UMBC. In their last match up, the Seawolves outscored the Retrievers 36-20 in the paint. Another key for the Seawolves will be knocking down the three ball, and a big part of the team’s deep attack will be sophomore guard Christa Scognamiglio. After her first start in New Hampshire on Feb. 1, Scognamiglio has been averaging 15 points a game and shooting an incredible 63.6 percent from downtown.

UMBC will need another huge game from sophomore guard Taylor McCarley if it wants the win. After her 29 point game against New Hampshire, you can bet McCarley will be a huge factor this Wednesday.  The Retrievers will also need to get to the line, and after her school record-setting 17 free throws against New Hampshire, they will be looking at McCarley once again.  They will also look at junior guard Capree Garner to help pick up the slack on offense.

The Seawolves have been dominant at home, going 8-3. UMBC has struggled away from home, going 4-8. Stony Brook leads the all-time series, 14-12.