Call To Stony Brook Musicians

The Stony Brook campus is filled with musicians of every background and practice. Guitarists, violinists, drummers, saxophonists, drummers, and many others, all live together in the same campus. Many of them are immensely talented and full of creativity. The one thing our campus lacks, however is a strong sense of community between the musicians on campus. Being a guitarist myself, I meet other people who play instruments all the time. However, getting a good spot to play on campus is not easy. There are practice rooms in the Staller Center and in the Tabler Arts Center, but these practice rooms are unknown to many students. Some come with annoying rules and stipulations on their use. I am calling all musicians on this campus to start asking campus officials for more space to practice, as well as more events that would foster musicians finding and playing with each other. I believe that there is a lot of hidden potential in our campus, which was once hugely into the music scene. With greats like Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Frank Zappa and the Blue Oyster Cult all having performed on our campus, I say now is the time to bring that musical tradition back .