Proud pens and pins: stars support Paris at the Golden Globe Awards

The 72nd annual Golden Globes Awards was the final time that comedians Tina Fey (left) and Amy Poehler would host the show. The two hosted for the past three years.  (LOS ANGELES TIMES / TRIBUNE NEWS SERVICE)
The 72nd annual Golden Globes Awards was the final time that comedians Tina Fey (left) and Amy Poehler would host the show. The two hosted for the past three years. (LOS ANGELES TIMES / TRIBUNE NEWS SERVICE)

Pens and pins were the accessory of choice for stars like Helen Mirren, George Clooney and Sunrise Coigney at the 72nd Golden Globes Awards on Sunday, Jan. 11.

The stars represented free speech and honored the victims of the Jan. 7 Charlie Hebdo terrorist attacks in Paris. Both actresses and actors commemorated those killed in the attacks in France.

Mirren, 69, wore her pen as a pin on the Beverly Hilton Hotel’s red carpet in Los Angeles. Mirren, nominated for her role in “The Hundred-Foot Journey,” explained with a bright smile her reasoning behind her “pen-pin” on her red long-sleeved ensemble. She emphasized the importance of free speech and honored those killed.

Presenter Jared Leto introduced the sure-to-be trendy “man braid” to the world, as well as recognizing the symbolic “Je Suis Charlie” cause.

Coigney, 42, rose her pen in the air proudly alongside her husband Mark Ruffalo, 47, after a red carpet interview. Ruffalo was nominated for best supporting actor in his work in “The Foxcatcher.” However, the award went to J.K. Simmons for his work in “Whiplash.”

Clooney wore a black pin with white writing reading “Je Suis Charlie,” a slogan first used on Twitter meaning “I am Charlie” in French.

Stars such as Joshua Jackson and Diane Kruger also posed on the red carpet with signs that were printed with the “Je Suis Charlie” slogan.

Clooney honored the victims of the Charlie Hebdo shooting by sporting the pin during his speech after he was awarded the  Cecil B. DeMille award for Lifetime Achievement. Clooney said “A million people who marched, not just in Paris but all over the world.”

Clooney’s wife Amal Alamuddin also showed her support on the red carpet with a pin on her white clutch bag.

Viewers around the world tuned into the 72nd Golden Globe Awards on NBC.

Last year, nearly 21 million people viewed the awards. According to Variety.com, ratings for the show were down compared to the year before.

This year was expected to have an even larger greater viewership given that it was Amy Poehler and Tina Fey’s final year presenting the Globes.

The stars used the opportunity to spread  awareness of free speech on a huge scale and to honor the 17 victims in Paris.