Trio of Proctor, Snow and Bayne-Walker power Seawolves to win over UMBC

(HEATHER KHALIFA / THE STATESMAN)
Kori Bayne-Walker (above, No. 5) takes the ball down the court. The sophomore guard would help lead the Seawolves to victory against the UMBC Retrievers on Jan. 14, scoring 16 points and having a team-high five assists in the contest. (HEATHER KHALIFA / THE STATESMAN)

It was the usual suspects who helped the Stony Brook women’s basketball team get the job done against UMBC last Wednesday night. Sabre Proctor, Brittany Snow and Kori Bayne-Walker all came up large in their team’s America East conference matchup against the Retrievers and helped the Seawolves leave Baltimore with a 66-50 win.

Proctor continued her stellar play this season, finishing with a game-high 20 points and 10 rebounds. The performance marked the 13th time this season she has registered double-digit points.

Snow and Bayne-Walker each added 16 points in the contest, marking the 11th time each player has reached double-digit point totals during the 2014-15 campaign. Snow also finished with nine rebounds in the game, while Bayne-Walker had a team-high five assists.

The victory was Stony Brook’s second conference win of the year. It was also the team’s second win away from Island Federal Credit Union Arena this season.

The Seawolves came out of the gate strong, going on an 8-0 run during the game’s first 3:48. But, SBU was unable to pull away from UMBC and the Seawolves found themselves with just a 29-26 lead over the Retrievers at halftime.

Stony Brook missed its first four shots from the field to start the second half, and trailed 33-32 with 16:48 remaining in regulation. 20 seconds later, a jumper by Snow put her team back in the lead. From there the Seawolves took off.

Snow’s jumper started an 18-6 run for Stony Brook. With just over 11 minutes left to play, SBU held an 11-point advantage.

The trio of Proctor, Snow and Bayne-Walker would combine to score the final 16 points of the game for the Seawolves, which helped their team in holding off the Retrievers down the stretch and secured a Seawolves’ victory.

Stony Brook’s strong effort on the boards was a big factor in the win. The Seawolves out-rebounded UMBC 38-25 for the game, 23-9 in the second half alone.

SBU’s only two road victories this season have come in the state of Maryland. Stony Brook defeated Morgan State 50-48 in Baltimore back on Dec. 13.

The win over UMBC improved the Seawolves record to 9-7 overall and to 2-1 in conference play.