Women’s basketball falls on the road to St. Francis (NY) and Iowa State

(ANDREW EICHENHOLZ / THE STATESMAN)
Brittany Snow (No. 20, above) scored 12 points in defeat against Iowa State. (ANDREW EICHENHOLZ / THE STATESMAN)

by Brandon Bennett and Kunal Kohli

The Stony Brook women’s basketball team picked up another two losses in the midst of their five-game road trip, falling to St. Francis (NY) 57-55 and Iowa State 74-64.

On Sunday, the Seawolves got off to a strong start in their game against Iowa State, but were unable to hang on to snap their losing streak.

Senior Sabre Proctor led the Seawolves with 16 points in the game.

Senior Jessica Ogunnorin picked up the slack after Proctor fouled out with 9:13.

Ogunnorin scored 15 points and collected eight rebounds.

Junior Brittany Snow also added 12 points in the defeat.

ISU senior Nikki Moody led all scorers with 24 points for the 5-1 Cyclones.

Connecting on six of their first seven shots, Stony Brook started the game with a 9-3 lead. The Cyclones bounced back and reclaimed the lead with 10:37 left in the first half.

Although Iowa State looked to constantly pull away, SBU managed to stay within reach.

Moody ended the half with 11 points, giving the Cyclones a 39-37 advantage at the break.

In the second half, we saw more of the Seawolves matching almost every Cyclone point. The back-and-forth affair would end at the 3:20 mark, when Iowa State was able to pull away for good.

Brynn Williamson hit a three -pointer and pushed the Seawolves deficit to five. Moody followed up with a three-point play to give ISU an eight-point lead.

The Seawolves closed the gap to four, but Moody answered with another three. Johnson closed the game with a 3-point play to give ISU the win.

In their previous game against St. Francis (NY), the Seawolves went down to the wire and lost in a heartbreaker.

With six seconds left, the Bulldogs had the ball up one. Senior forward Jaymee Veney put up a shot from the baseline, but missed.

Bulldogs junior guard Leah Fechko grabbed the offensive board and kicked it out to the three point line.

Freshman forward Alex Delaney caught the pass and launched a prayer from deep with just half a second left in regulation.  She hit nothing but net, handing Stony Brook a 57-55 loss.

The game started out rough for the Seawolves. After leading for a good portion of the first six minutes, the Seawolves let the Bulldogs go on a 9-0 run, making the score 15-9. SBU then went on a 6-0 run, led by redshirt junior guard Miranda Jenkins, who scored her first four points of the game during the run.

The tie did not last long, as the Bulldogs followed up with another 9-0 run, to take a 24-15 advantage. The Seawolves only put up four more points as the first half came to a close, with the Bulldogs leading 31-19.

In the second half the Seawolves were sparked by Ogunnorin. The senior guard scored eight of her 12 points in the second half. Senior forward Sabre Proctor also scored 10 in the half. The two seniors and Jenkins helped cut down the Bulldogs lead, and get Stony Brook back in the game.

St. Francis (NY) was still able to mantain the lead until Ogunnorin hit a layup with 21 seconds left to put SBU up 55-54. The Seawolves were almost able to pull off the upset, but were then defeated by Delaney’s buzzer beater.

Proctor lead the Seawolves with 20 points in the game. She was followed by Ogunnorin, who had 12 and Jenkins with 11 points. Jenkins also led the team with six assists. Junior forward Brittany Snow, led the team in rebounds with nine.

The Seawolves shot 50 percent as a team, but struggled from three-point land, making just one of five from behind the arc.

Stony Brook will finish of their road trip this Saturday when they take on Morgan State.

David Vertsberger contributed to this story.