Warney wins second straight Player of the Week award

(HEATHER KHALIFA / THE STATESMAN)
Jameel Warney (above, No. 20) was given the America East Player of the Week title for the second straight week. This marks the first time than Stony Brook has won three straight America East Player of the Week titles, as Rayshaun McGrew received the honor three weeks ago. (HEATHER KHALIFA / THE STATESMAN)

For the second time in as many weeks, Stony Brook’s Jameel Warney was awarded America East Player of the Week. Warney took his game to another level this past week, warranting his fouth career Player of the Week title.

The award comes after Warney topped his already-impressive season averages of 16.1 points, 12.6 rebounds, 2.7 blocks and 1.7 assists per game. In the three games played this week, Warney averaged 16.7 points, 11.7 rebounds, 3.3 blocks and 2.3 assists, helping secure victories in all three games.

Warney recorded double-doubles in games against Western Kentucky and St. Thomas Aquinas. He narrowly missed a third double-double, falling one rebound short against LIU Brooklyn.

Warney’s best game came against Western Kentucky, when he went 7-for-15 shooting and dropped 17 points. He also managed to grab 15 rebounds and make four blocks. This would be his fifth double-double on the season and the first of the week.

Looking past the dominant week by Warney, he now leads the country in double-doubles with six, is third in the country in rebounding and has led Stony Brook to a 5-2 record. This also marks the first time in program history that Stony Brook has won three straight America East Player of the Week awards. Rayshaun McGrew was given the honor three weeks ago.

The Seawolves will look to extend their winning streak to five games as they go on the road to battle Cincinnati on Tuesday night at 7 p.m.