Seawolves go cold in second half in loss to Army

(HEATHER CANNON / THE STATESMAN)
On Tuesday, Nov. 18, the Stony Brook women’s basketball team faced the Army Black Knights. After a 68-59 loss, the team looks ahead to its home game against the Columbia Lions on Friday, Nov. 21. Tipoff is at 7 p.m. (HEATHER CANNON / THE STATESMAN)

The Stony Brook women’s basketball team looked to start its season 2-0 for the first time since the 2005-06 season. In what was a tale of two halves, the Seawolves wound up seeing their encouraging first half performance fall short. Despite a 31-26 halftime lead over the Black Knights, Sabre Proctor and the Seawolves were unable to hold the lead, losing 68-59.

The night began with an energetic Seawolves team that scored on 11 of 19 shots, 58 percent, in the first half. Proctor led the team in the half, contributing 18 of the 31 points scored. She finished the night with a game high 25 points and team high seven rebounds. The feat was one point shy of tying her career-high single-game point record. Proctor’s performance is a good sign for the Seawolves, as the senior looks to be their premiere player this season, as she has been in seasons past.

The second half proved to be completely different, as the Seawolves saw their shooting percentage drop drastically making it difficult to maintain any sort of lead. The team’s inability to hit three-Pointers, only making two of 14, made them rely heavily on inside shots. This allowed the Black Knights to make adjustments at halftime, forcing the Seawolves to take some low percentage shots.

Army had a well balanced scoring attack for the night, with Kelsey Minato leading the way, scoring 18 points. Aimee Oertner and Olivia Schretzman dropped 16 and 13 points, respectively. These three sent the Black Knights to victory, giving them a 1-1 record on the year.

Along with Proctor, Jessica Ogunnorin had a solid night with 10 points and five of the team’s 27 rebounds. Her rebound total helped the team lead 27-25 in rebounds. Even with the loss, the Seawolves have seen motivated play from Kori Bayne-Walker, who scored 11 points for her second-straight game. These individual performances should pay dividends for the Seawolves come January when conference play starts. Still, the season is only two games old and the Seawolves should seek to improve their full-game efforts.

Using the positives from this game, the Seawolves will look to play a complete 40-minute game this Friday as they face the Columbia Lions at 7 p.m. The Seawolves will hope to go 2-0 at home and 2-1 on the year.