McGrew earns America East honors

(HEATHER KHALIFA / THE STATESMAN)
Rayshaun McGrew (No. 21, above) goes up strong on his way to 14 points in Stony Brook’s season opener. (HEATHER KHALIFA / THE STATESMAN)

As the capacity crowd at Island Federal Credit Arena watched junior Jameel Warney fail to put back his own missed free throw, fellow junior Rayshaun McGrew was there to save the day and secure a win on the opening night for the Seawolves men’s basketball team. McGrew took Warney’s missed putback attempt as the seconds ticked away, and hit a layup to secure a 57-56 win for Stony Brook.

That play, as well as tough play throughout the evening, earned McGrew the America East Conference’s first Player of the Week Award.

The Chicago-native helped slow Columbia’s momentum throughout the contest, scoring 14 points and grabbing eight rebounds, the most important of which was at the end of the game. Though it is still early in the season, McGrew’s game-saving play assured America East fans that one team would remain undefeated, as every other squad has lost at least one game.

With the departure of Eric McAlister last season, McGrew looks to take on an important role in the low post, where he has thrived ever since he started to receive more playing time during conference play and last year’s America East tournament.

The junior finished his sophomore campaign averaging 3.4 points and 1.9 rebounds per game after transferring to Long Island from Cowley County Community College.