Future Seawolves get early jump on NLI’s

(PHOTO CREDIT: STONY BROOK ATHLETICS)
After the Early Period of signing, Stony Brook is expecting numerous new Seawolves. (PHOTO CREDIT: STONY BROOK ATHLETICS)

New Stony Brook recruits are now saying “I’m A Seawolf” after signing their national letters of intent today, as the Early Period of signing started for all sports besides football and soccer.

The first recruits announced for Stony Brook came from the women’s basketball team, with the Seawolves are looking to take their next step and win the America East after reaching the finals last season.

Coach Caroline McCombs and her staff looked outside the Northeast for their first two signees, inking 6-foot forward Ogechi Anyagaligbo out of Miami and 5-foot-9-inch guard Jerell Matthews out of Chicago.

Anyagaligbo is an all-state honoree and two-year captain who is about to enter her senior season at Miami Country Day High School. As a junior, the All-Dade County selection nearly averaged a double-double, recording 11 points and 9.6 rebounds per game, while leading her team to the Florida Class 3A state championship along with a 26-3 record.

Matthews hails from Marian Catholic High School in the Windy City, where she is getting set to finish her career as a three-year captain under head coach Dan Murray. She led her school to a state title in her sophomore season, averaging 17 points a game and in the top three in three-pointers. Last year, she averaged 45 percent from the field, 52 percent from three-point land and 80 percent from the free-throw line.

Staying on the hardwood, but switching to volleyball, coach Coley Pawlikowski claimed three student-athletes on Wednesday, as McKyla Brooks (Buffalo, N.Y.), Morgan Kath (Milwaukee, Wis.) and Taylor Wilson (Corydon, Ind.) signed their National Letters of Intent to come to Long Island this fall.

Brooks hails from upstate N.Y. as a three-year letterwinner at Frontier High School, where she helped them to a 41-12 record in her three seasons. She also helped them to a NYS Quarterfinal berth in 2013. She led the team in blocks in her 2012 and 2013 seasons, and was an effective hitter, posting a .300 hitting percentage or over in her three seasons, progressively getting better in all three of them.

Kath comes from the midwest where she was a team captain and three-year letterwinner at Muskego High School. She tallied 3,078 assists, ranking in the top-five her senior year with 1,057. She helped the Warriors finish runners-up in the state tournament as a freshman and a senior, while leading them to the conference and sectional titles in 2012.

Wilson also hails from the midwest as a four-year letterwinner at Our Lady of Providence High School. She totaled 1,616 kills, 683 blocks, and 449 digs while leading the Pioneers to back-to-back Indiana State Championships. In 2012, they were one step short of the crown, falling in the Championship game but still finishing with a 35-4 record.