Fletcher, Vogel earn America East weekly awards

(BASIL JOHN/ THE STATESMAN)
Kathy Fletcher (No. 8) had 17 kills, six digs and six blocks in a four-set win against the Binghamton Bearcats on Friday. She, along with teammate Nicole Vogel, received awards from the America East Conference this week. (BASIL JOHN/ THE STATESMAN)

The America East Conference released their weekly awards on Monday and two Seawolves are recipients, as juniors Kathy Fletcher and Nicole Vogel were named Co-Player of the Week and Setter of the Week, respectively. Both women were crucial in Stony Brook’s effort to clinch an America East Championship spot in a 2-0 week.

A native of West Chicago, Illinois, Fletcher led the conference with 4.75 kills per set last week, along with a .357 hitting percentage, which is good for fourth. She was ranked second in both blocks (1.12 per set) and aces (0.38 per set). She had monster games against Binghamton and Albany. She went for 17 kills, along with six digs and six blocks in a four-set win against the Bearcats on Friday. She then had a career day against the Great Danes on Sunday afternoon, going for a career-high 21 kills along with nine digs and three blocks.

Vogel won her second straight Setter of the Week award, leading the conference with 14.75 assists per set last week. She also finished second in the America East with 3.25 digs per set. She is the leader of the Stony Brook offense, and led them to a second-place conference standing in hitting percentage at .258. She also chipped in a pair of double-doubles in the two games, beginning with tying a career high in assists on Friday. She had 60 assists and 14 digs against the Bearcats, along with 58 assists and 12 digs against rival Albany on Sunday.

Stony Brook needs to win their final two matches, including a matchup with the defending conference champion New Hampshire Wildcats on Nov. 13, in order to have a shot at the number one seed come tournament time. The Seawolves improved to 10-2 at home in Pritchard Gymnasium, and their 17 wins are the most in a season since 2007.