Stony Brook 2015 baseball schedule released

(STATESMAN STOCK PHOTO)
The Seawolves’ season opener will take place on Friday, Feb. 13. The team will face the Nicholls State Colonels in a three-game series. (STATESMAN STOCK PHOTO)

Stony Brook’s 2015 baseball schedule was released earlier this week.

The Seawolves went 35-18 and were America East champs in 2014, but lost to Binghamton in the America East Conference Tournament finals.

They are looking to continue with the success of recent years and kick off the season with a nine game road stint in the South.

The season opener will take place on Friday, Feb. 13 at Nicholls State, when the Seawolves and Colonels start the year with a three-game series.

They will then move on to Louisiana-Lafayette and Florida, which finished ninth and 25th respectively last year and each held a one seed going into their regional tournaments.

The Ragin’ Cajuns went 58-10 in 2014 before being warded off by Ole Miss in their Super Regional.

The Gators did not go quite as far, falling to North Carolina and Charleston in their Regional bracket.

They closed out the season with a 40-23 record.

Joe Nathan Field will open its gates for the first time on Tuesday, March 3, as Stony Brook hosts NYIT, which finished 4-46 last year for its opening day game.

Stony Brook starts battling to regain its No. 1 conference spot when Binghamton comes to town on Saturday March 14 for a double-header and the first conference games of the year.

The Seawolves’ last home game will come against conference rival Hartford on May 2-3.

The team will then close out the season with a six game road trip against conference foes UMass-Lowell (May 9-10) and Binghamton (May 15-16).

Other America East series include home vs. UMass-Lowell (Mar. 28-29), at Maine (April 11-12), home vs. UMBC (April 11-12) and at Albany (April 25-26).

Some key non-conference matchups include games against a pair of Big East members in Creighton (March 20-22) and Georgetown (April 18-19).

Creighton went 32-17 last year and the team was the Big East champion, but like Stony Brook, lost in its conference tournament’s final to Xavier.

Stony Brook graduated its  (arguably) three best offensive players in Kevin Krause, who was drafted by the Pittsburgh Pirates in the ninth round of the 2014 MLB draft, Kevin Courtney and Robert Chavarria.

The team also lost Brandon McNitt, who led the team with eight wins and 71 strikeouts last season, to the Houston Astros, who selected him in the 27th round of the 2014 MLB draft.

All-America East shortstop Cole Peragine, America East Rookie of the Year Cameron Stone and starting pitcher Tyler Honahan, who posted a team- low 2.89 ERA last year, look to take advantage of their opportunities and help lead their team to another NCAA tournament appearance and back-to-back America East championships.